Q. Please interpret the scan taken for stomach bloating and guide us.

Dr. P.s. Rajan

My wife has a bloating stomach. We went to a gynecologist who suggested to go for scanning. She is currently taking multivitamins for vitamin D deficiency. Kindly help.

#

Reviewed your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that your wife has got bloated stomach. Ultrasound abdomen shows no significant findings other than fatty infiltration of liver. She needs basically upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and based on the findings she can be advised medicines and proper diet.

If there are any bowel symptoms like increased frequency of passing stools or constipation, she might need colonoscopy. It was not mentioned in the query about any surgery to her abdomen in the past. If there was any surgery, adhesions as a cause for bloating should also be considered.

APD (acid peptic disease).

OGD (oesophagogastroduodenoscopy).

Adhesion?

APD.

Based on OGD finding.

If needed after the OGD.

She had three surgeries in the past 11 years, two cesarean operation for childbirth and one for removal for left ovary due to cyst.

Is fatty liver a concerning problem? The last scanning done on 2016 shows no fatty liver. For the past six months, she was taking multivitamins as advised by orthopedics.

She is not obese, but only her stomach is like that of a pregnant lady, diet is normal, no junk, and motion is normal. Should upper gastrointestinal endoscopy has to be done compulsorily? She had a stomach upset three weeks back.

#

Patient anyway needs OGD before arriving at any diagnosis. Having undergone previous surgeries, if OGD endoscopy is normal she needs colonoscopy. If that is also normal, one can think of possible adhesion for which she can be planned diagnostic laparoscopic as a cause of adhesions which can lead to bloating.

| 

Why do I have pale stools and bloated stomach?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 28 year old male. I am suffering from fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, pale stools and upper abdominal bloating. I am addicted to Benadryl for the past one and a half years to get sleep. I stopped taking it over last three days.  Read Full »

How does C-section affect the tubal ligation procedure?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my tubal ligation over a year ago during my fifth C-section. The doctor told me that he had a difficult time doing it because of all the scar tissue and my tubes were stuck to my ovaries. I have been worried this whole year because he did not act real confident. How does scar tissue...  Read Full »

What could be the root cause for bloated stomach after having food?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am feeling bloated stomach and giddiness immediately after eating. The feel is more especially after lunch. What could be the root cause? Please explain. Thank you.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Surgeon Now