Q. There is no improvement with tinnitus post surgery. Why?

Dr. Alok Rathi
Published on May 07, 2016

I am a 33 year old male. Two years back I had severe running nose and could not breathe through nose, especially during the night. Then, I was diagnosed with antrochoanal polyp in my right nose. After taking medications I no longer felt cold and running nose. However, my right nostril always remains blocked. So, I decided not to go for FESS and manage with blocked right nose. However, for the past three months, I started feeling right ear blockage and sometimes feel liquid movement in my right ear when I move my head. Over last 15 days I feel ringing in my right ear, so I got shocked and got my right nose FESS surgery done. However, even after seven days of surgery I am not relieved of tinnitus although I can breathe now normally from both nostrils. I can feel reduction in volume and my pure tone audiometry is normal. Please help.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The nasal blockage did not cause tinnitus and hence, it is not relieved.

The FESS surgery (functional endoscopic sinus surgery) you had was for nasal blockage and its consequences of auditory tube blockage and middle ear fluid retention.

Now after surgery, your nose is opened, auditory tube and middle ear fluid must have settled down (or will settle down) and just a week after surgery you should not start calculating improvement.

Coming to tinnitus, there are various causes. You need to be evaluated for it. Discuss with ENT (ear, nose and throat) surgeon on your next visit.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

What is the cause of ear pain with cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male, and I have pain in the ear from today afternoon. I do not have any liquid discharge from the ear, but the pain is increasing with passing time. At night, the pain is very intense.I can hear all voices clearly, but my ear is paining a lot. I do not understand the r...  Read Full »

What should be done if there is viscous fluid discharge from ears?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. Some type of viscous liquid comes out of my ears and when it dries up, it hardens. Please help me.  Read Full »

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »