Q. There is no improvement with tinnitus post surgery. Why?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I am a 33 year old male. Two years back I had severe running nose and could not breathe through nose, especially during the night. Then, I was diagnosed with antrochoanal polyp in my right nose. After taking medications I no longer felt cold and running nose. However, my right nostril always remains blocked. So, I decided not to go for FESS and manage with blocked right nose. However, for the past three months, I started feeling right ear blockage and sometimes feel liquid movement in my right ear when I move my head. Over last 15 days I feel ringing in my right ear, so I got shocked and got my right nose FESS surgery done. However, even after seven days of surgery I am not relieved of tinnitus although I can breathe now normally from both nostrils. I can feel reduction in volume and my pure tone audiometry is normal. Please help.

#

The nasal blockage did not cause tinnitus and hence, it is not relieved.

The FESS surgery (functional endoscopic sinus surgery) you had was for nasal blockage and its consequences of auditory tube blockage and middle ear fluid retention.

Now after surgery, your nose is opened, auditory tube and middle ear fluid must have settled down (or will settle down) and just a week after surgery you should not start calculating improvement.

Coming to tinnitus, there are various causes. You need to be evaluated for it. Discuss with ENT (ear, nose and throat) surgeon on your next visit.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|