Q. I am on birth control pills with symptoms of pregnancy and bleeding clots. Please help.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

About two weeks ago, I started having watery brown discharge as I had never seen before. My period is three days and usually, I spot a little before but more dried blood than watery light brown and not starting that early. I had a feeling I was pregnant because I was having similar symptoms. Then two days ago, all of a sudden I got extremely bad stomach pains, somewhat like cramping but also squeezing and also very nauseated and threw up multiple times only bile. It was a very strong and hard throwing up. Then when I got home after that happened, there was no longer watery brown discharge but blood and since then, I have been bleeding clots of blood down there and quite a bit. I never get my period early ever it is always on the same day and I am on birth control so it is pretty for sure. I am also having diarrhea.

I am trying to figure out if I am pregnant, had a miscarriage, or have an ectopic pregnancy? Currently I am on Potassium citrate, Vitamin D, Bupropion, Tri lo sprintec, Omeprazole, and Famotadine.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

It is understandable that it is quite concerning for you. First thing to know is if you were sexually active about two weeks before this happened. If yes, it is advisable to get a pregnancy test done even though you are on birth control pills. The failure rate of birth control pills is around 5%. Pregnancy test can be done by a ready kit available in the nearest pharmacy with early morning urine. If it is negative, wait for a week and repeat again. If positive, it indicates pregnancy but it will not say if this is normal or ectopic. The only way to confirm this is via ultrasound. If miscarriage, it will be detected by ultrasound in the same sitting. If positive, I would suggest you visit your doctor for further needful.

|