Q. Yesterday, I noticed two abnormal clots on my pad. Are they something I should worry about?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Hello! I am currently in my withdrawal bleeding week (placebo pill days, I am on birth control). Yesterday, I noticed two abnormal clots on my pad. I have experienced blood clots, but these were different. A little difficult to explain (I have a picture), but they were large and white, with visible blood vessels on the surface and a blood "string" at the end. Again, a little hard to explain in words. Because of my current circumstances, I have not taken birth control the "normal" way in the last two months. Early last month, I did not have more birth control at the end of my placebo week, and was only able to start a new cycle of it the following week. I did not know I should only start the pill at the beginning of my cycle. Once I found out, I skipped the placebo week the following month in order to reset the "ovulation"/placebo timings. I am sexually active and, knowing I had not used the pill correctly, I mostly used condoms as backup. I was wondering if these clots could be a result of messing up the pill or if they are something I should worry about. Thank you for your help!

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hello, Welcome to Icliniq.

Based on your description, I understand that you skin using the pills in early last month, in the beginning of your menstrual cycles and later took it continuously to avoid the placebo pills.

See, first thing you have to understand is that , if you didn't start the birth control in the first week of your menstrual cycles it's not effective as a birth control at all as the follicular development already sets in which contains the Ovum (egg). So there is a high chance of pregnancy in such cases even if you start it in the following week.

The clots that you described could be possibly products of Conception ( only a possibility) if you had gotten pregnant and had a spontaneous miscarriage. So to confirm if this is the situation or not, please check your home pregancy test. If that is positive then this confirms the likely possibility of a pregnancy.

Also if you could share a picture of the clot that you have I can have a look to check the other possibilities of your problem.

Please feel free to revert back to me anytime with any further queries or doubts. Also please check your home pregancy test once and get back to me with the result. Have a nice day.

- Home pregnancy test
- Ultrasound Abdomen and Pelvis.

| 
Thank you for your reply. I have taken two home pregnancy test in the past two weeks because I thought of the possibility, and both were negative. Do you think I should try again and those results might have been wrong?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hello Dear, Welcome Back.

I have seen the picture you attached. I would advise you to recheck your home pregancy test with an early morning urine sample once tomorrow.

If that is negative then pregnancy is ruled out. The thing in the picture could be the tissue from the lining of your uterus. In that case , there is nothing to be bothered about, it's just the normal lining shedding during periods. You can start with the fresh pack of pills from the 3rd or 4rth day of your periods.

If the test comes positive by chance, then get an ultrasound to check if everything has been expelled out and the uterine cavity is empty.

Hope this helps you.
Have a nice day.

|