Q. Yesterday, I noticed two abnormal clots on my pad. Are they something I should worry about?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

Currently, I am having withdrawal bleeding for a week. I was taking Placebo pills for few days. Yesterday, I noticed two abnormal clots on my pad. I am experiencing blood clots differently. I have some white and large visible blood vessels on the surface with a blood string at the end. Due to my current circumstances, I am not taking birth control pills for the last two months. Last month, I did not take any birth control at the end of the week. I planned to start the pill on the following cycle to reset the ovulation or placebo timing. But I forgot to start them after having periods and I started to take them after ten days of my cycle. I am sexually active and used condoms as a backup. I am worried whether these clots occur as a result of messing up pills. Please suggest.

#

Based on the description, I can understand that you have skipped your pills without taking them last month at the beginning of your menstrual cycles and later you started taking them continuously to avoid placebo pills. You need to understand that if you miss taking birth control pills in the first week of menstrual cycles, it is not effective as follicular development occurs with the ovum. So there is a high chance of pregnancy in these cases even after started taking pills in the following weeks. You seem to have clots and it can be a product of conception if you are pregnant and it occurs as a result of spontaneous miscarriage. You need to check it by doing a pregnancy test. If it comes positive, then there is a likely possibility in you to be pregnant. Please send the photo of your blood clots. Have a follow-up with the results of your pregnancy test.

You need to do a home pregnancy test and ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

I have taken two pregnancy tests in the last two weeks and they came back negative. Do I need to try again?

#

I have gone through the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest you recheck your home pregnancy test in the early morning using a fresh urine sample. If it is negative, then pregnancy is ruled out. Your picture shows tissue from the lining of the uterus. There is nothing to be worried and it is the normal lining shedding during periods. You can start taking a fresh pack of pills from the third or fourth day of periods. If the result comes positive, then take an ultrasound to check whether everything is expelled out and the uterine cavity is empty.

|