Q. What are the causes of constipation and blood in stools?

Dr. Arvind Guru

I had diarrhea two years back, and since then I had gastrointestinal problems. But, I never had mucous or blood in the stools, so I thought it is because of IBS and did not take any medication. My stool test reports showed no signs of parasites or any other organisms in the stools. Later, I had alternate constipation and diarrhea, and sometimes the stools come hard and later soft. I have been straining to defecate, and I saw bright red blood along with the stool yesterday. I had a little bleeding before also, but yesterday I lost almost 30 ml of blood. I do not have any pain, fever, or any other associated symptoms.

#

Thanks a lot for the detailed description of your problem. I think you have the following issues.

• The blood in stools that you are describing appears to originate from some disease in your rectum or sigmoid part of your large intestine.
  • Few drops of painless blood in stools during constipation is most likely from hemorrhoids. It is not a big issue to manage.
  • However, repeated 20 to 30 ml of painless, bright red blood in stools is a bit concerning. It would need an examination of the rectum, to look at what is the problem.
  • Following are the possibilities:
  1. Hemorrhoid.
  2. Polyp inside the rectum.
  3. Ulceration on walls of the rectum, because of repeated straining for constipation.
  4. Some tumors can also have such presentation. But, because of your age, I would advise you not to worry much about this right now.
  • You need to see a general surgeon or a gastro surgeon in your town. The doctor would examine you and do a proctoscopy examination to look for hemorrhoids or other diseases. If there is nothing found in proctoscopy, then you may need to see a gastroenterologist for a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.
  • Until then, I suggest you do the following.
  1. Consume a lot of salads, sprouts, and Isabgol (two teaspoons, three times a day).
  2. Take 3 to 4 liters of water every day.

I hope that helps in addressing your concerns.

For more information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

| 

I noticed blood in stool. Is this due to piles or cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, While passing motion just some time back, I noticed blood in the stool and immediately I wiped my anus area with a tissue. There was a good quantity of blood (bright red color) and few stools also were red in color. I wiped off the anus and completed my bowel movement. The rest of the mo...  Read Full »

I am getting hemorrhoids at least twice a month. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor,I am getting hemorrhoids often. Even this month, I got hemorrhoids twice. I would like to know, why is it so often for me? I do eat fruits every day, and I do not have constipation. I am 20 years old, and my weight is 59 kg. Thank you.  Read Full »

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now