Q. What are the causes of constipation and blood in stools?

Dr. Arvind Guru

I had diarrhea two years back, and since then I had gastrointestinal problems. But, I never had mucous or blood in the stools, so I thought it is because of IBS and did not take any medication. My stool test reports showed no signs of parasites or any other organisms in the stools. Later, I had alternate constipation and diarrhea, and sometimes the stools come hard and later soft. I have been straining to defecate, and I saw bright red blood along with the stool yesterday. I had a little bleeding before also, but yesterday I lost almost 30 ml of blood. I do not have any pain, fever, or any other associated symptoms.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

Thanks a lot for the detailed description of your problem. I think you have the following issues.

• The blood in stools that you are describing appears to originate from some disease in your rectum or sigmoid part of your large intestine.
  • Few drops of painless blood in stools during constipation is most likely from hemorrhoids. It is not a big issue to manage.
  • However, repeated 20 to 30 ml of painless, bright red blood in stools is a bit concerning. It would need an examination of the rectum, to look at what is the problem.
  • Following are the possibilities:
  1. Hemorrhoid.
  2. Polyp inside the rectum.
  3. Ulceration on walls of the rectum, because of repeated straining for constipation.
  4. Some tumors can also have such presentation. But, because of your age, I would advise you not to worry much about this right now.
  • You need to see a general surgeon or a gastro surgeon in your town. The doctor would examine you and do a proctoscopy examination to look for hemorrhoids or other diseases. If there is nothing found in proctoscopy, then you may need to see a gastroenterologist for a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.
  • Until then, I suggest you do the following.
  1. Consume a lot of salads, sprouts, and Isabgol (two teaspoons, three times a day).
  2. Take 3 to 4 liters of water every day.

I hope that helps in addressing your concerns.

For more information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

|