Q. Should I start taking BP medicines?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 25 years old. My blood pressure generally ranges between 125/60 mmHg and 133/65 mmHg. Sometimes if I am nervous, my BP goes up to 145/80 mmHg. When I am calm, the BP usually stays at 117/60 mmHg. Should I take BP medicine like Propranolol for hypertension? I have already made changes in the lifestyle. I do not drink or smoke and I avoid sodium. I am also practicing meditation.

#

I have noted all your details.

• Increased anxiety and overthinking stimulate the autonomous nervous system in the body which increases blood pressure momentarily even if lifestyle modification has been tried.
  • I suggest you take low dose Benzodiazepines, Clonazepam 0.25 mg once daily at night along with a low dose of beta blocker like Propranolol (Ciplar 10 mg) for 21 days along with lifestyle modification. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicines with consent.
  • Monitor your BP every third day.

Revert back after 21 days to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I have a couple questions. Will there be any side effect with the medications? When should I take the Propranolol? Lastly, if my blood pressure drops in 21 days, should I continue the medication or discontinue? Just curious if this will become lifelong medication.

#

Hi

• When you are nervous your blood pressure is 145 systolic and your diastolic pressures are normal. So, our target is to achieve a systolic blood pressure of less than 120 mmHg.
  • A low dose Propranolol and Clonazepam are not going to lower your diastolic blood pressure and so, you do not have to worry about that.
  • According to the JACC (Journal Of American College of Cardiology), the blood pressure is categorized as
  1. Normal BP for less than 120/80 mmHg.
  2. Prehypertensive state when it ranges between 120-139/80-89 mmHg.
  3. Grade 1 (mild hypertension) when it ranges between 140-159/90-99 mmHg.
  4. Grade 2 (moderate hypertension) when BP is between 160-179/100-109 mmHg.
  5. Grade 3 (severe) when the BP is above 180/110 mmHg.
  • You fall in the category of a prehypertensive state. Severe lifestyle modification plus a low dose anti-anxiety medication and low dose Propranolol will help to revert back from the prehypertensive state to normotensive state.
  • A low dose anti-anxiety medication has no apparent side effect when administered for a short period of time.
  • Along with the medications, I would advise you 45 minutes of strenuous exercises every day for three months and 1500 mg sodium diet. Include a lot of fibers and fruits in your diet. Avoid butter and saturated fats instead use olive oil to cook.
  • 30 minutes of brisk walking at a speed not less than 5.1 km/hr has to be done. Keep a record of your blood pressure every third day for 21 days.
  • Once you achieve your target blood pressure you would be weaned off the medicines. I suggest you tablet Clonazepam 0.25 mg once daily at 9 pm and tablet Ciplar (Propranolol) 10 mg once daily at 9 am after breakfast for 21days.

I am pleased with your answer.

#

Welcome. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further doubts.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|