Q. What causes raised blood pressure in an 18-year-old?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Age: 18 years Gender: male

Off late experiencing high blood pressure ranging from (160 by 97 to 150 BY 95) and some isolated readings 120 by 83 and 130 by 90. But the consistent readings are on the higher side. Echocardiogram is normal. And so is ECG. Few months back thyroid was also normal. The body weight is also within the limits comparable to the height of person. However, occasional events of high anxiety do occur. My question is whether the BP reading seems to be fluctuating to the higher side even though possible anxiety connections were abated. What can be the possible diagnosis?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

Welocme to icliniq.com.

You seem to be having labile hypertension, at your age it is not common to have a high blood pressure as in the 160's or 150's as you have noted. The one cause that needs to be investigated is kidney disease, therefore it is important to get blood tests pertinent to kidney function (serum creatinine and blood urea done as well as imaging studies,(ultrasound of the kidney). Also, there is a cardiac condition known as coarctation of aorta, which can cause high BP at this age but an echocardiogram will usually rule out that. Other causes are high salt intake and caffeine intake, but I am sure, you have ruled that out.

|