Q. I am a 72-year-old healthy individual, but my sugar level is increased in the last three months. Why?

Dr. Rajendran R. Nayar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 28, 2021 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2022

I am a 72-year-old female of height 5 ft 5 inches and weight 43 kg. I am healthy, active in sports, work, etc. My fasting sugar usually is 4.3 to 4.8. Lately, for about three months, my fasting sugar is 5.3 to 5.6. I feel good. I had low iron, but with vitamins and iron feel good. I am taking vitamin tablets. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Your blood sugars are still in the normal range. I understand that your worry is that it has increased. I presume that other factors like diet and exercise have not changed. If you have been taking more sugars, you need to reduce them. As you know, Insulin is produced by the beta cells of the pancreas. As you age, there could be gradual beta-cell dysfunction. It means that your Insulin production, to control blood sugars, may have been reduced.

This could account for your raised sugar levels from three months. You appear to have a healthy lifestyle. You need to check your sugars monthly. Be on the lookout for diabetic symptoms like lethargy, excess thirst, excess urination, body pains, etc.

Please get a laboratory test of your blood counts, fasting and postprandial sugars, HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c), lipid profile, urine routine, urine albumin creatinine ratio, liver and kidney functions, and thyroid functions.

These are for a comprehensive check-up to identify any other co-existing illness.

Take care. I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

|