Q. My mother's fasting sugar is higher than the post prandial sugar. Why is this happening?

Dr. Kaveri Dandapani
Published on Apr 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2019

• My mother's fasting sugar is higher than the post prandial sugar (130 and 115 respectively). She had normal diet only.
  • And also, 2 hours after taking 75 grams of glucose, without any work, the sugar level is 260. Why is this happening?

Dr. Kaveri Dandapani

Diabetology General Medicine
#

• Regarding blood sugar levels, if a patient is diabetic and if she is on oral medication for diabetes, the sugar levels can be as have you stated (fasting blood sugar level more than the post prandial blood sugar).
  • This happens because most of the anti-diabetic medications are taken either with or before breakfast.
  • If the patient is not a diabetic, as soon as she takes the breakfast, it will act as a stimulant to produce insulin in the body and that will bring down the post prandial blood sugar level (PP).
  • Normal diet can be 2 or 3 dosas, chapatis or rotis, in which the blood glucose level will be lower than 75 grams of direct glucose. This direct glucose might also increase the sugar level to 260. 
  • Another scenario for increase in sugar after empty stomach will be because of the hormone called glucagon, which will induce glycogenolysis and neoglucogenesis in the body when the sugar levels are very low.
  • In this mechanism, the stored glycogen or lipids will be converted into glucose, thus increasing the blood sugar level.

Consult a diabetologist online for further clarifications --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, I like to tell you that you are doing a great job by managing strict diet restrictions and regular exercises. Please do continue exercising for at least 45 minutes daily. Now, coming to your concern regarding the medications, Insulin is definitely the most natur...  Read Full

How to Fight Hypoglycemia?

Article Overview: Hypoglycemia or low sugar is common in diabetic patients. It is very important for us to know how to encounter it when it happens. What is needed to be done in case of emergency is discussed in this article. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

Hypoglycemia occurs when plasma glucose is lower than 70 mg/dl. There are three stages of hypoglycemia: Mild hypoglycemia - Symptoms like tingling sensation, dizziness, hunger, weakness, etc Severe hypoglycemia - Loss of consciousness Moderate hypoglycemia - Palpitation, tremors, confusion, di...  Read Article

What is Fourderm cream used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I am working at a steel industry. So, due to excess heat in the workplace I always have a lot of sweat in private areas. I consult a doctor for the infection. He prescribed me Betadine powder to use and Fourderm cream. Is it helpful?  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My opinion is not to use Fourderm cream (combination of Chlorhexidine gluconate, Clobetasol, Miconazole and Neomycin). It has strong steroids and has a lot of side effects. I suggest Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) or Candid cream - Clotrimazole instead. I also sugg...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now