Q. What does my father's blood sugar value suggest?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

Four months ago, my father's fasting blood sugar level was 110 mg/dL and postprandial was 136 mg/dL. Before that he had sugar levels in the normal range according to regular checkups done. However, there is a spike in his blood sugar level and the detected levels were fasting 214 mg/dl and postprandial 301 mg/dL. He had been experiencing issues like decreased appetite, unquenchable thirst and weakness for past 2 months. He has a slim body and on a controlled diet. He does not consume much oil, although he eats sweets occasionally. Kindly suggest if this is diabetes or should we get any other test done to diagnose whether it is diabetes or something else. Kindly advice.

#

• Fasting blood sugar should be less than 126 mg/dL and postprandial should be less than 140 mg/dL after 2 hours.
  • Since your father has fasting blood glucose level of 214 mg/dL and postprandial levels of 301 mg/dL along with classical features of increased thirst, increased urination and appetite (which may or may not be present), it suggests he has diabetes.
  • But, I would suggest you to repeat the test from some other laboratory. If the levels are high, then he has developed diabetes.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|