Q. Are CBC,PT, and PTT sufficient for a pre-operative hematology clearance?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I need hematology clearance for abdominoplasty. The anesthesiologist insists on hematology clearance because I take Pradaxa 150 mg twice daily, Bupropion 450 mg once daily, and Aspirin 81 mg once daily. I take these medications for stroke, and heart attack, and also I had blood clots. However, I need to get the laboratory tests done, but they need to be ordered. And I was not sure if all that was needed was a CBC or PT/PTT, etc. Kindly give your suggestions.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

I suggest you to follow the instructions mentioned below:

1. The anticoagulant medicines that you mentioned should be stopped three days before the surgery.

2. You can investigate for PT (prothrombin time), PTT (partial thromboplastin time), BT (bleeding time), and CBC (complete blood count) prior to surgery to get a hematological clearance.

3. Dabigatran (anticoagulant) does not carry many risks of bleeding. So you need not worry about it.

However, a preoperative clearance can be given after observing the reports of the above investigations and doing a physical examination at your hospital.

I hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further. Take care.

Thank you for your reply.

I will get the history and physical exam done and the recommended lab works also. Do I need to attach the files to this query when I obtain the needed information? Also, I underwent a surgery last year and I stopped the Pradaxa three days before surgery just like you stated. Thank you so much for your help.

#

Yes, you can attach the reports for my review. I will try to help you by giving the information about the results.

|