Q. My blood test came positive for yeast. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

A few months ago, I was seen at the ER. Several days later, I received a call from the ER department and they informed me that my blood tested positive for yeast and suggested a follow up with my MD. I did the follow up and my MD said it is normal and there is no treatment. I am having some odd symptoms lately and decided to look into this yeast in the bloodstream. I am finding every article saying that it is serious and could become fatal. I am having most of the symptoms posted in the articles, such as lack of concentration, brain fog, lack of appetite, fatigue, muscle pain, weakness, urinating may be twice daily, increased anxiety and fungal rash on the back. Should I be concerned? Or am I worrying for nothing?

#

I understand your anxiety.

• Since the blood culture was a few months back and you had a symptom free period, I do not think that the present symptoms are due to previous bloodstream infection.
  • Bloodstream fungal culture could have been a contamination because fungemia patients are very sick and not healthy like you.
  • If you are still very anxious, then you may repeat the culture. And, I am sure that it will come negative for fungus. You may opt BioFire assay, but I do not think that it is necessary.
  • Your symptoms are more likely be due to Trazodone. Since when have you been initiated on that? Ask your doctor to shift you to another antidepressant and I usually prefer Mirtazapine if sleep is an issue.
  • Please upload the picture of your fungal rash to characterize it.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

Can antidepressants cause low sex drive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no sex drive whatsoever and cannot obtain an orgasm. Please help.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»