Q. My blood test came positive for yeast. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

A few months ago, I was seen at the ER. Several days later, I received a call from the ER department and they informed me that my blood tested positive for yeast and suggested a follow up with my MD. I did the follow up and my MD said it is normal and there is no treatment. I am having some odd symptoms lately and decided to look into this yeast in the bloodstream. I am finding every article saying that it is serious and could become fatal. I am having most of the symptoms posted in the articles, such as lack of concentration, brain fog, lack of appetite, fatigue, muscle pain, weakness, urinating may be twice daily, increased anxiety and fungal rash on the back. Should I be concerned? Or am I worrying for nothing?

#

I understand your anxiety.

• Since the blood culture was a few months back and you had a symptom free period, I do not think that the present symptoms are due to previous bloodstream infection.
  • Bloodstream fungal culture could have been a contamination because fungemia patients are very sick and not healthy like you.
  • If you are still very anxious, then you may repeat the culture. And, I am sure that it will come negative for fungus. You may opt BioFire assay, but I do not think that it is necessary.
  • Your symptoms are more likely be due to Trazodone. Since when have you been initiated on that? Ask your doctor to shift you to another antidepressant and I usually prefer Mirtazapine if sleep is an issue.
  • Please upload the picture of your fungal rash to characterize it.

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|