Q. Can monocyte and basophil count be zero?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Recently, I had a CBC test done. Would you please check my reports as my monocyte and basophil counts are zero?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Your monocyte and basophil count is zero, as I can see in the attached complete blood count reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This CBC report is done in an automated cell counter in which differential count can vary compared to a manual count. Usually, the basophil count is zero. So, you need not worry about that. Monocyte count should be one or two percent. As the report was done on the cell counter, your count is reflected as zero. If you do not have any symptoms, then you do not have to worry. I advise you to repeat the complete blood count after one week again. I assume that the monocyte count will be within range after a week or so.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you for responding.

The HCT is also high. Could you please tell me why?

#

Welcome back to iclniq.com.

In my opinion, there is nothing to worry about your hematocrit (HCT). It is only borderline elevated. Hemoglobin and red blood cell count (RBC) are within the range. So, as per my opinion, you need not worry about hematocrit (HCT). I can assure you that the results will be in the normal range. I advise you to drink more water for the next two to three weeks and repeat CBC tests once again. If you have any signs and symptoms, then let me know about them too.

|