Q. Though the lump in my breast decrease on antibiotics, it is still tender. Could it be cancer?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 17, 2020

I am a 25-year-old female. My BMI is 22, I am a non-smoker with no ongoing conditions like diabetes. I am not breastfeeding and have never been pregnant. I developed mastitis very suddenly about three weeks ago, by that evening I was in A and E with a lump the size of an egg in one breast. I was prescribed Cocodamol and 500 mg Flucloxacillin a day. After the first course which was 10 days, I saw the doctor again as the lump had reduced to the size of a large grape but was still painful, I often had fevers and I felt unwell. Doctor put me on another seven-day course of Flucloxacillin and booked a breast cancer screening.

I just finished my second course and I am still in pain, with lump still the size of a small grape, and still feel ill and feel like I am getting worse again. Breast is back to being red and swollen. My only option to see a medical professional before my breast screening is to wait for several hours at an urgent care clinic after work.

Should I try and get more antibiotics? If so should I insist on getting a different kind? Also please be honest, I know there is a chance it could be IBC but as a young, healthy, childless woman, is it actually likely that I should prepare for bad news or not?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Let me assure you that there are no cancers which come suddenly and settles with antibiotics. One breast cancer which progresses over a few period is inflammatory carcinoma of the breast but it does not come in days and settle with antibiotics. You have a breast abscess that settled with antibiotics and some times a part of it gets walled with fibrous tissue were antibiotics do not reach it is called antibioma. I would suggest you take Linezolid 600 mg twice a day as there are chances of resistance to Flucloxacillin.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Can Pentavalent vaccine cause loose motion?

Query: Hi doctor, After taking Pentavalent vaccine my 2 month old baby is having loose motion for the last five days with tummy problems. Doctor suggests Ornidazole-Ofloxacin and Racecadotril suspension. Is it safe?  Read Full »

Would cancerous breast lump grow in four weeks time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from anxiety around the health issues, cancer and tend to obsess about things. I have been fixating on my breasts and keep thinking I feel lumps. My doctor suggested to get an ultrasound four weeks ago for my peace of mind and they were perfectly fine. Tonight, I was scratc...  Read Full »

What treatment can be done for mammary duct ectasia with chronic granulomatous mastitis?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 33 years old female. Before four years, I had a baby girl but she never did breastfeeding on my left breast. Now before one month, I have noticed I have breast lump which is never painful for me. I had reduced my weight to 8 to 10 kg from last 10 months. That is the only symptom th...  Read Full »