Q. Would cancerous breast lump grow in four weeks time?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I am suffering from anxiety around the health issues, cancer and tend to obsess about things. I have been fixating on my breasts and keep thinking I feel lumps. My doctor suggested to get an ultrasound four weeks ago for my peace of mind and they were perfectly fine. Tonight, I was scratching and then prodded to the left of my nipple on my right breast. If I push firmly down I feel a small knot or pea like thing. There seems to be two and one is more prominent. I can feel something vaguely on the left side of my breast but not near a prominent. Am I right in assuming? As I had an ultrasound only four weeks ago and everything was fine, whatever I am feeling might be some muscle or something. I have to press quite firmly to feel it. If I just do a normal breast exam, then I cannot feel it. Also, if the scan was fine four weeks ago, is it possible for a cancerous lump to grow in that time frame? Sorry, the anxiety is tough to deal with. Please help.

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I can understand your concern.

• It is absolutely normal to have some anxiety. All human beings are anxious for something. It depends how we make use of it.
  • Any lump in the breast has to be evaluated. If you still feel something inside, then you can consult a surgeon and let him examine your breast and then compare scan report to conclude.
  • It could be an allergic rash or as you are anxious and feeling so. You are absolutely fine.
  • There is no need to feel that you are an anxious person and feel guilty about it. At times our anxiety can save us. So, be happy and whenever you feel so take a specialist's opinion.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

In your experience would it be possible for some bad to grow in that time frame?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• It is unlikely to be a cancerous lump. But, there can be an abscess or cyst.
  • As I said earlier you will be relieved only after a direct examination.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|