Q. Can a breathing treatment given before a chest x-ray hide lung cancer?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 27, 2022

I am a 55 year old female. Can a breathing treatment given before a chest x-ray, hide lung cancer?

#

I have read through your query. Please find my observations below.

Breathing treatments like nebulizers will not hide any suspected lung cancer when given before taking a chest x-ray. Chest x-ray is a basic investigation used to screen the lungs field and heart and usually done as a routine investigation. A routine chest x-ray usually picks up any nodules or mass in the lung fields that might represent lung cancer and is not affected by the patient taking nebulization therapy.

If there are strong reasons to suspect a lung cancer, then a CT scan chest is the best investigation and gives a complete detailed overview of the lungs. In conclusion, breathing treatment will not hide lung cancer when given before taking a chest x-ray.

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I feel relaxed now.

#

Welcome. Wish you good health. Take care.

|