Q. How to manage the bruise and swelling caused by gymnastics?

Dr. Srikanth Nara
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

I did some gymnastics on the trampoline and landed on it funny. Then, it started to hurt painfully. Now, it has bruised and swollen. I can only bend it backwards and not forward. Could you please help me?

Dr. Srikanth Nara

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• The image you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows that there is a bruise over the metacarpophalangeal joint that is at the base of your fingers.
  • You might not be able to move it in all directions because of hematoma in that region or some tendon or ligament injury.
  • Chance of fracture is less, but has to be ruled out with an x-ray.
  • Use ice packs (not hot pack) to reduce pain.
  • Try to splint the fingers, put some gauze over the skin along with the adjacent finger and wrap it with the micropore tape. It will be difficult to do alone and you need to take some help.
  • If pain does not improve or you are not able to move your finger even after two to three days then you need to see a doctor. You can also use some painkillers for two days.

Revert back after three days to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|