Q. I get a blister-like lump on penis the next day after unprotected sex. Is it due to STD?

I woke up this morning after having unprotected sex last night, with a clear blister-like bump on my penis. It is not painful and no discharge. I am concerned about herpes or other STDs. I have been tested positive for HSV-1. I have had cold sores growing up around my mouth but never any STDs or sores on my penis. Could it just be from friction from the sex and not an STD?

#

I read your query and had a close look over the provided image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Unfortunately, the image is not clear so I will be answering it on the basis of general knowledge in case of STDs (sexually transmitted diseases).

Genital herpes is the one condition that generally appears within two weeks of exposure and blisters are one of the presentations. This is possible that you have new lesions on the penis due to previous exposure to herpes.

We need to understand that it is not uncommon to have genital herpes for individuals with lesions around the mouth. However, the absence of any break out over the six months indicates that it was recently acquired from the current partner or someone who was engaged with you in the last two weeks.

Friction is one possibility but the symptoms are often apparent during sexual intercourse or immediately after it. If you recall some discomfort during sexual intercourse this can be the reason for current symptoms. However, I like to inform you that blisters due to friction are very rare and we need to keep it as the last possibility.

Chancroid is one more possibility that can appear within a day but the lesions are often painful. Considering all the facts and blurred images I feel genital herpes is the first possibility for nonpainful blister over the penis.

| 

Please suggest an opinion about genital STD infection.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I have an STD infection in the genital area. I want to know about it? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Herpes - a Common STD

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the clinical presentation and treatment of herpes. Read Article

Herpes disease is caused by herpes simplex virus. The herpes simplex virus (HSV) is a double stranded DNA virus, infects humans alone and is almost ubiquitous. There are two closely related species of HSV, type 1 (HSV-1) and type 2 (HSV-2). They cause primary as well as recurrent mucocutaneous infec...  Read Article

I have red bumps on penis after sex. Is it candidiasis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and I am 67 kg and 169 cm. I am half black with kind of light skin. Although I have my fiancee, I masturbate a lot before and sometimes I damage my skin under the gland. I can mention maybe since a year or so. I always associate because, in the new place where I live...  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask a Sexologist Now