Q. What is the difference between left and right bundle branch block?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Can you please tell me the difference between left and right bundle branch block? And why is left considered far more dangerous?

Do you have a question on Bundle Branch Block or Heart Attack?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

MBBS., FCPS PG CARDIOLOGY
Cardiology General Practitioner

Heart needs current to beat. Current is generated in sino-atrial node. It is like electric generator. It travels via bundle branches, which are like wires. Current goes from SA node to AV node via atrial bundles. Then from AV node to a small bundle called HIS bundle. Then goes to right ventricle via right bundle branch and to left ventricle via left bundle branch. Then it further divides down.

When there is interruption in right bundle, it is called rbbb and same for left bundle branch. Right bundle branch may not always be dangerous because right ventricle is a low pressure chamber, pumps blood to lungs which is also low pressure. Left ventricle has to pump blood to whole body, it has to force more. When lbbb occurs, left ventricle is contracted via current coming from right bundle branch and it takes some time to reach left side although only milliseconds of difference but that is significant. Thus, there is dys-synchrony between ventricle which may lead to ineffective output from left ventricle, because whole vascular circuit is interconnected and should work in rhythmic synchronized way.

Moreover, lbbb usually occurs due to heart attack. But all this is not as simple as mentioned. It is more complicated. It needs much time to make you properly understand the whole working of heart and its connections. Hope you got a little idea about lbbb and rbbb.

Sick Sinus Dysfunction - Dysfunction of the Sinus Node
Article Overview: The article is about the dysfunction of the sinus node, its causes, presenting symptoms, ways to diagnose, and treatment.  Read Article »
Dr. Isaac Gana

The sinus node is a structure located in the upper part of the right side of the heart, which serves as the heart's pacemaker. Electrical impulses are produced there and travel from the sinus node down to the ventricles, that is the lower part of the heart. What Is Sick Sinus Dysfunction? Sick s ...  Read Article »

Does my thallium stress test indicate any serious block?
Query: Hello doctor, I am attaching my recent ECGs along with readings of aerobic capacity and VO2 max. The VO2 max and aerobic capacity are estimated low as exercise was interrupted after five minutes in the speed of 2.3 Kmph whereas I could have gone on for at least five more minutes with speed of 3.5 K...  Read Full »
Dr. Pramod Bhanudas Narkhede

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are not symptomatic, ECG (echocardiogram) indicated a rhythm block. You are having a high-grade atrioventricular block which is the availability of the rhythm an...  Read Full »

ECG shows RBBB and marked left ventricular hypertrophy. What does it mean?
Query: Hi doctor, My son is 12 years old, very active, plays representative basketball and attends a sports high school. Last Sunday, he was knocked over while playing and hurt his arm. After getting up, he fainted. He was fine after that. There were no broken bones, but the medical center did an ECG, and...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ECG (electrocardiogram) is showing incomplete RBBB (right bundle branch block) or early RBBB and features of left ventricular hypertrophy, and also heart rate is on lower side nearing 60 beats per minute. But as you mentioned, he is a basketball player. So, athle...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now