Q. My diabetic mother has burning sensation while urinating with dark urine. What steps should we take?

Dr. Ankush Jairath
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 11, 2020

This is regarding my mother, who is 67 years old and has a previous history of slightly high BP and sugar and she is taking medicines for both.

The issue is that on Sunday she experienced a burning sensation while urinating and then the sensation was gone, but on Monday night she again felt the burning sensation while urinating. She also said that the urine was darker yellow and also a bit warmer than usual.

She has not been taking too much water, and I have told her to drink more water and see tomorrow if the burning sensation returns when peeing. However, since she complained I thought of at least contacting a doctor on a preliminary basis. What could be causing this sensation and if it persists what steps to take?

#

Sorry to hear about your mother's problem. Most probably your mother is having a urinary tract infection (UTI) which is quite common at her age but still not normal. I recommend (as she is diabetic as well as hypertensive) to get investigated.

The following test should be done.

CBC (complete blood count).

RFT (renal function test).

Urine routine and culture.

Ultrasound abdomen with PVRU and HbA1c.

I am going to start her on empirical treatment (see prescription) for three days so that she gets herself investigated meanwhile and relieved of her symptoms. But if there is any obvious underlying cause of UTI (which will get clearer after all investigations) we may have to act further. She is overweight, try if she can shed some weight with exercise.

UTI.

UTI.

Plenty of fluids.

After three days.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

My son occasionally complains of burning sensation during urination. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 5 years old. He occasionally complains of burning sensation in urine. Before five months, he complained of burning sensation, and we did a urine test which showed pus cells 2 to 3 and albumin haziness. The doctor said that as fine and just advise to give more fluids. We did two m...  Read Full »

Is UTI contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, A few days ago I was diagnosed with UTI infection. I was put on antibiotics, and the ER doctor sent my urine for a culture. My doctor told me that Klebsiella pneumoniae is present in my urine culture and referred me to a specialist. What does it mean? I am 23 years old and sexually active...  Read Full »