Q. I have a burning sensation on the tip of my penis when I pee. Is it due to an infection?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Published on Jul 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

Recently I have been experiencing a slight burning sensation on the tip of my penis. When I pee, it stings a bit. The stinging sensation is subtle, but there is always a slight urge to pee. It feels like something is streaming down, but I can only feel it when it reaches close to the head of my penis. I am uncircumcised and I notice a white substance that seems to be, what I feel is, dripping down. I have not had sex in a while and if I did, it was always protected. I thought it might be due to lack of hydration. So, I have started to drink more water. I was told that cranberry juice works, which I started drinking today. My pee stream is slightly weaker, but the color is normal. Any advice? I thought it might be an infection but I do not want to jump to conclusions yet.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• Considering your history,  the burning sensation might be because of an infection, or due to narrowing of the urine pipe, a condition called as stricture urethra.
  • I suggest the following tests to rule out an infection:
  1. Urine routine.
  2. Urine culture and sensitivity. 
  3. Ultrasound abdomen. 
  4. Uroflowmetry
  • If you do not want to undergo these tests at present, the other option is to have an antibiotic trial for seven days considering an infection. If it is an infection, it should resolve with this.
  1. Tablet Doxycycline 100 mg morning and evening for seven days.
  2. Tablet Pan 40 mg in the morning for seven days.
  3. Tablet Flavospas, one tablet at morning and evening for seven days.
  • Continue with the cranberry juice or tablets.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Are all the medicines the same or different?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• All the three medicines are different and taken together.

Hope this solves your concern.

My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.  Read Full »

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full »

Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from a urinary infection for the last one week. I am unable to control urine. But, no medication is taken yet. I am a 34 year old female. My height is 154 cm and weight 76 kg.  Read Full »