Q. Does persistent burning sensation in the tongue with ear and jaw pain indicate oral cancer?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

I have had persistent tongue-burning symptoms on the right side of my tongue for the last six months. I have been using a complete upper denture and a partial lower denture. After using my partial lower denture for a few days, I started having frequent ear and jaw pain, mainly on the left side but sometimes on the right side. I have also noticed a pea size swollen preauricular lymph on the left side of the ear, which is soft and mobile. Interestingly, I do not feel any pain in my tongue when I have ear or jaw pain. Occasionally, I have burning tongue symptoms more prominently when I do not have ear pain. I have a fear that this is a sign of oral cancer. Please give me your advice on what shall I do.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Oral cancer does not start with a burning sensation in the tongue. It can start with an ulcer or a cauliflower mass which is usually painless. Please capture a photo of your tongue from both sides and send it to me. The soft mobile preauricular lymph node is not malignant. A malignant lymph node is hard and fixed, and usually painless.

|