Q. I underwent bypass surgery and my eosinophil count is high now. Please help.

Dr. Amit Arora

I am a 47-year-old male. I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for 34 years. I had my bypass surgery before 18 years and having depression then on. Now My eosinophil count is high 1090. I am currently on Pentop 40 in the morning, Fludac 20 once daily after breakfast, Concor 2.5 once daily after breakfast, Ecosprin AV 75/20 mg after dinner, Dolwin Plus at night, and Anxit 50 mg at night. Please suggest me medicine.

#

I have read a brief summary of your case. You had CABG (bypass heart surgery) after that you are on Concor (Bisoprolol, beta-blocker), Ecosprin AV (combination of Asprin and Atorvastatin). For depression, you are on Fludac (Fluoxetine), and anti-anxiety drug Anxit (Alprazolam).

Now coming to ankylosing spondylitis, I want to tell you that there is no permanent cure for this condition. What we can only prevent are pain and discomfort. You are already on analgesic Dolwin plus (Tramadol and Paracetamol), I can add Methotrexate 7.5 mg weekly for three weeks along with Folvite (Folic acid) once daily for three weeks. It can help you in relieving symptoms but do not continue it further without any doctor's advise. I repeat you have to take Methotrexate 7.5 weekly for three weeks, which means total of three tablets only and further continuation will depend upon the result in your case.

There are many causes of raise in eosinophil and need detailed evaluation.

1) When did you first detect that your eosinophil count got raised?

2) Are you suffering from some other diseases like skin disease or lung disease also?

This raise could be due to worm infestation and I will advise you Albendazole 400 mg with meal weekly once for three weeks and then, repeat the eosinophil count. This is also advisable that you get a stool test done before starting Albendazole. Cardiac opinion: You had CABG (bypass surgery). I want to know whether you had any kind of cardiac problem like chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitation or fainting attack after that. Are you on regular follow up?

You are advised for non-invasive CT (computed tomography) guided angiography. This is not any kind of invasive process, just like a CT scan only.

|