Q. I underwent bypass surgery and my eosinophil count is high now. Please help.

Dr. Amit Arora
Published on Nov 03, 2019

I am a 47-year-old male. I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for 34 years. I had my bypass surgery before 18 years and having depression then on. Now My eosinophil count is high 1090. I am currently on Pentop 40 in the morning, Fludac 20 once daily after breakfast, Concor 2.5 once daily after breakfast, Ecosprin AV 75/20 mg after dinner, Dolwin Plus at night, and Anxit 50 mg at night. Please suggest me medicine.

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

I have read a brief summary of your case. You had CABG (bypass heart surgery) after that you are on Concor (Bisoprolol, beta-blocker), Ecosprin AV (combination of Asprin and Atorvastatin). For depression, you are on Fludac (Fluoxetine), and anti-anxiety drug Anxit (Alprazolam).

Now coming to ankylosing spondylitis, I want to tell you that there is no permanent cure for this condition. What we can only prevent are pain and discomfort. You are already on analgesic Dolwin plus (Tramadol and Paracetamol), I can add Methotrexate 7.5 mg weekly for three weeks along with Folvite (Folic acid) once daily for three weeks. It can help you in relieving symptoms but do not continue it further without any doctor's advise. I repeat you have to take Methotrexate 7.5 weekly for three weeks, which means total of three tablets only and further continuation will depend upon the result in your case.

There are many causes of raise in eosinophil and need detailed evaluation.

1) When did you first detect that your eosinophil count got raised?

2) Are you suffering from some other diseases like skin disease or lung disease also?

This raise could be due to worm infestation and I will advise you Albendazole 400 mg with meal weekly once for three weeks and then, repeat the eosinophil count. This is also advisable that you get a stool test done before starting Albendazole. Cardiac opinion: You had CABG (bypass surgery). I want to know whether you had any kind of cardiac problem like chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitation or fainting attack after that. Are you on regular follow up?

You are advised for non-invasive CT (computed tomography) guided angiography. This is not any kind of invasive process, just like a CT scan only.

I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. Kindly suggest new medications.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive and Rh factor negative) since 10 years, now on Saaz-DS, SI joints are fused. Movement restrictions of neck, forward bending and morning stiffness with sciatica. Kindly suggest the new medications and NSAIDs. I have attached ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The NSAIDs you can take are Etoricoxib 90 mg once daily or Diclofenac 75 mg twice daily. You can try this out and see which one helps more. Once your pain is controlled, you can try to reduce the dose to alternate days or even lesser depending on your pain. Folic ac...  Read Full

Eosinophilia: A Brief Discussion Regarding Causes and Management

Article Overview: Eosinophilia or a rise in the eosinophil count can occur due to allergy or skin infection, or due to HIV infection or cancer. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

Eosinophilia Definition Eosinophilia is said to be present when the absolute eosinophil count is more than 400/cmm (some books mention eosinophilia when the absolute count is more than 500/cmm). Etiology: I will describe in brief the causes of eosinophilia so that it will help in detecting the und...  Read Article

What are the best exercises for ankylosing spondylitis with Andersson lesion?

Query: Dear doctor, Can you tell me which exercises are the best to do when one is having ankylosing spondylitis with an Andersson lesion apart from any outdoor exercises?  Read Full >>

Dr. Palanikumar Chellamuthu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to inform us of your age, duration of symptoms, whether you are on any medical management, the extent of your body joints and spine involvement, etc. Considering all these have been done, I would suggest you concentrate on deep breathing exercises and pranayam...  Read Full