Q. How do I get screened for cancer risk?

Dr. Kumar Varadarajan Senthil
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 29, 2022

I am a 33-year-old male. My weight is 91 kg, and my height is 5 feet and 11 inches. How do I get screened for cancer? My mom died of lung cancer at the age of 52. My maternal uncle died of stomach cancer at the age of 50. I have a burning sensation in my stomach from the last three years. I did an ultrasound twice. It showed a fatty liver both times. But, I was not given any medicines. I have had a problem with piles for the last 16 years. I always have constipation. I tried changing my diet to include salads, vegetables, etc. I drink six liters of water every day. Also, I have other issues like back pain, tiredness, knee joint pain, persistent cough, headaches at night, and fatigue. Should I consult a doctor regarding these issues?

#

Firstly, try to get physically fit by slowly building up your physical endurance. Join a gym and work out regularly apart from eating healthy. Have your baseline blood works done along with the liver function tests, bone profile, and kidney profile. The burning sensation in the tummy is likely to be acid reflux. I suggest a course of proton pump inhibitors like Pantoprazole or Lansoprazole for four weeks. If there is no improvement, you will need an endoscopy. As a last measure, you may consider a whole-body scan just for your mental peace.

|