HomeAnswersDermatologycandidal balanoposthitisWhat is the reason for rash, red spots, and irritation on the head of my penis?

Why do I have a rash, red spots, and irritation on the head of my penis?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At March 23, 2022
Reviewed AtSeptember 8, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have had this rash, red spots, and skin irritation on the head of my penis for three months. It seems to get worse when I masturbate. I have not masturbated in a week, and it looks better, but still, I feel a little tender. I also work out a lot with tight briefs. Kindly help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. Yes, it looks like candidal balanoposthitis, a superficial fungal infection caused by candida albicans (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). It is characterized by tiny red papules, sometimes yellowish. They lead to mild superficial redness, which can itch or feel tender. Although it can happen to anyone but more common in diabetics. So, I suggest getting your blood sugar tested. I also suggest the following. Take Tablet AF-150 (Fluconazole) one tablet once per week for two weeks and Tablet Levosiz (Levocetrizine) 5 mg once a day. Use Candid (Clotrimazole) cream apply twice a day. Do it for ten days and follow-up after that. I hope you get well soon.

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply. Is that all an over-the-counter drug, or do I need a prescription for that? Kindly help.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. The second and third are over-the-counter, but tablet Fluconazole requires a prescription. I suggest you start with the topical cream, as they are sufficient for mild cases. If it does not improve after a week, and you need a prescription for tablet Fluconazole, kindly contact the icliniq support. They will help you out. I hope you understand.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena
Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy