Q. What is the white lesion in mouth that started as canker sore and can be scraped off?

Dr. Sreekesh Menon
Published on Aug 17, 2018

I am seeing white stuff in my mouth. I see more in quantity in inner cheeks and gums when I wake up in the morning. It has been four weeks. It can be scraped off using the finger.

I consulted a dentist nearby and she told me it might be leukoplakia and it goes away by itself in a few days but it did not. After a few days, I again visited the same dentist and she told me that it might be precancerous and suggested me to apply ghee on gums every night before bed.

I tried everything but it does not go away. I see it every morning and evening. I brush my teeth twice a day. I saw a canker sore in my mouth when it started and I also sometimes feel burning sensation after brushing. Please diagnose and help me out.

#

As I can see you can scrape off your lesions, then it will not be leukoplakia because it is thickened, white patches that form on your gums, the insides of your cheeks, the bottom of your mouth and, sometimes, your tongue. These patches cannot be scraped off.

So, I will go with the diagnosis of pseudomembranous candidiasis which will have buring sensation and the lesions are scrapable. Do not worry. It is treatable.

Candidiasis can be treated with topical anti-fungal drugs, such as Nystatin, Miconazole, Gentian violet or Amphotericin B. If these antifungal creams are not available over the counter then you can suggest your dentist to prescribe them.

Fungal infection.

Secondary syphilis.

Antifungal creams.

For more information consult a dentist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

My son and I have canker sores. Why do we have them at the same time?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old female. My weight is 130 lbs and height is 5 feet. My son is 5 years old.  He has autism. He is a little overweight for age. I do not have herpes of the mouth (cold sores) and as far as I know neither should he. However, a week ago I bit the inside of my lip, and t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of canker sores is unknown, but they tend to run in families. Canker sores are not contagious. Eating foods that you are allergic to may cause you to get a canker sore. Eat or drink food that has a lot of acids, such as orange juice. It also occurs when you do ...  Read Full

After performing receptive fellatio on a guy I have white tongue. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I performed receptive fellatio on a guy 55 days back. I took RNA PCR TEST after 11 days and then again at 35 days and both were negative. I also took a fourth generation combo test (antibody and p24) on 38th day and it was negative as well. The problem is, for the last 8-10 days I have...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, candidiasis is there. But, it is usually the late manifestation of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Since, all your tests are negative, consider yourself as negative unless proved otherwise. All other things can also happen without HIV. Go for HIV test one more t...  Read Full

What causes recurrent candidiasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recurrent candidiasis. It appears every month. I have used all the medicines. Kindly assist me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Confirm it whether it is candidiasis. When have you done your last vaginal swab? Do you have your two swabs reporting the same infection? (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Normal vaginal secretions increase during excitement, at ovulation, before menstru...  Read Full