Q. We have been suggested for C-section after 36 weeks. Shall we proceed?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

Actually, my wife is 37 weeks pregnant. The growth scan shows that the fetal growth is 34 weeks 5 days. So, our doctor is suggesting for C-section after about a week's time to avoid any suffocation to the fetus. Is it fine to get a C-section during the fetal growth of about 36 weeks? Please suggest.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The best way to determine the time of delivery is by doing a fetal Doppler. If the Doppler shows reversal of flow, then immediate cesarean is needed.
  • The best person to advice about this is the person seeing or doing the ultrasound and if the person is a gynecologist.
  • However, since that information is not available, I can tell you that the termination after 37 completed weeks is not harmful to the baby.
  • The treating doctor can determine the appropriate time when the outside environment is better for the baby's survival than the uterine environment.
  • In your case, it is assured that the delivery time suggested by your doctor through cesarean is not harmful for the baby. Please do not worry.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|