Q. I licked my partner's vagina and I am scared of HIV. What to do?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

I have been scheduled for minor surgery, prior to which I have been advised few routine investigations, including HIV. Though I have always practiced safe sex throughout by using a condom, there have been a few instances (3-4 times) where I have practiced cunnilingus (licked my partner's vagina). During this time, none of them were menstruating, and even I do not remember having any active oral bleeding. I would like to know what the chances are of me contracting HIV from them (though I am unaware of their HIV status). Please answer my question as I am scared of getting this test done. I am currently asymptomatic, and my last sexual encounter was 6-7 months back.

#

The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency syndrome) by oral sex or by the acts mentioned is almost nil unless there are bleeding wounds in the oral cavity. You are confirming that you did not have any oral wounds. You can go ahead with the HIV antibodies test, and it will be conclusive (the last exposure was six months prior). The chances of HIV test coming positive is almost nil with this description.

I just wanted to know for further confirmation what would bleeding oral wounds include? At times we do also have chapped lips (due to weather changes) about which we are usually unaware. Can chapped lips increase the risk of transmission?

#

Though chapped lips get dried up soon and form a scab, they can act as a portal of entry to HIV (human immunodeficiency syndrome) if they are exposed to infected fluid or blood. Usually, the chances are remote or very low. Other oral wounds are possible due to injuries or bites, or dentures. If they are fresh or bleeding, it can act as a portal of entry to HIV.

|