Q. After a biochemical pregnancy, when can I plan my next pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

I had a biochemical pregnancy before two months. Initially, my hCG test showed 11 and after a couple of days it was 9. Then, I had an endometrial lining scan and it showed a simple right ovarian cyst measuring 33 x 27 mm. So, doctor prescribed Meprate and I got my periods on the 27th of last month. When can I expect my periods of this month? Do I need to get any other scan? Please explain.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• As you have got your menses on the 27th of last month, now the endometrial lining has been shed and the concern about biochemical pregnancy persisting is completely out.
  • But, the size of the simple follicular cyst over right ovary would need to be re-ascertained with a repeat transvaginal ultrasound. There is a likelihood that it would have reduced in size or vanished itself over a month.
  • Anyhow, it should not be affecting your menses if your cycles had been regular earlier and this has been the first episode that you experienced a follicular cyst.
  • The menses should be expected by 27th to 30th of this month. There may be a delay of five to seven days as the previous menses were medicine induced. But, that is expected and so one needs to be patient as well.
  • Also, important would be to rule out any possibilities of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which can cause oligomenorrheic cycles and cysts in ovaries due to increased androgen levels in the body.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

In my lifetime only once I faced irregular period issue. That happened before six months. During that time, I took Yasmin for three months. After that, I did not face this kind of issues. If my periods become regular this month and next month, then when can I try for pregnancy again? If there is a delay in my periods, then what should I do?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The next pregnancy should be planned three months after the biochemical pregnancy, as the uterus need time to return to its pre-pregnant state.
  • You should maintain a menstrual calendar for next three months before the pattern of your menses can be differentiated as regular or irregular.
  • So, presently, a scan would be necessary after a week to look for the size of the cyst.

|