Q. I have chest and left arm pain with fast heart beat and shortness of breath. Please help.

Dr. Ahmed Goha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

I have left chest pain above my breast and pain in my left arm. I also have shortness of breath and fast heartbeat. This does not happen all the time. It comes and goes. I have it for about three years I guess. I am not on medications currently.

Dr. Ahmed Goha

Cardiology
#

Most common cause for this is costochondritis which is an inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage or anxiety. However other causes need to be excluded.

More information about chest pain is needed like character, duration, radiation, what brings it and how does it go, relation to mood, exercise or food?

Costochondritis or anxiety.

ECG (electrocardiography). X-ray chest. Echocardiography. 24-hour ambulatory ECG (Holter) may be considered. CBC (complete blood count). Thyroid function test.

Cardiac causes: mitral valve prolapse, pericarditis, coronary artery disease (unlikely in your case). Lung causes: bronchial asthma, pleurisy. Musculoskeletal: injured rib, costochondritis. Gasterointestinal causes: Gastroesophageal reflux disease, peptic ulcer, hiatus hernia. Psychological causes: anxiety, panic attacks, psychosomatic disorder. Others: hormonal disturbance.

Please reconsult after doing the requested tests.

|