Q. I suffer from frequent exertional headaches for 20 years. Please help.

Dr. Aida Quka

I suffer from an exertional headache, once or more than one time a week, for 20 years now. Every time I stress my body even a little bit, carrying a burden for a little while, or doing a sexual activity, or even exercise without a proper warm-up, after 24 hours, I suffer from a dull, throbbing heavy headache, as well as other symptoms like a sense of hot skin, nausea, lack of concentration and other vagal symptoms. It lasts for days. Besides any exertion, another trigger could tighten the neck area, for instance, with a tie or any tight clothes. Even in this case, after 24 hours, my headache pops up.

Thanks in advance.

#

I understand your concern and would recommend performing a brain MRI in order to exclude possible Chiari Malformation, which can lead to this clinical situation. In the meantime, I would recommend to avoid straining, physical activity and trying taking Verapamil or Topiramate for headache prevention. You should discuss with your doctor on the above mentioned treatment options. I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need. Kind regards.

|