Q. What to do if the fever persists for more than one week?

Answered by
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 07, 2022

Hello doctor,

I want to ask what could be the best medicine for my sister. She had an on and off fever since last week, and then the doctor gave her an antibiotic named (Cefixime trihydrate or Trexim) suspension. But she is still experiencing a high fever till now. What should we do?



Welcome to

Considering the continuous fever in spite of antibiotics, I would suggest doing the following investigations: CBC (complete blood count), CRP (C-reactive protein-quantitative), PSMP (peripheral smear of malarial parasite), dengue virus antigen detection NS1, serum glutamic pyruvic transminase (SGPT), X-ray chest, routine urine tests, and microscopy.

Further management depends on the above results.

Also, make it a point to check the temperature with a thermometer. Temperature between 100 degree Farenheit to 102 degree Farenheit can be managed with Crocin (Paracetamol), and a temperature of 102 degree Farenheit or above will need syrup Ibugesic plus (Ibuprofen 100 mg and Paracetamol 162.5 mg). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines with their consent. Doses will be as per weight.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have severe fever and body pain but I have taste and smell sensation. Please help.

I took tablet Paracetamol 650 mg one time after that, I got relief now I have headache and fever coming back, and my mouth is also dry, but I have taste and smell sensation ...   Read full

How to improve the platelet count in dengue infection?

She has been suffering from fever for five days ... Her fever is in the range of 99 to 102 degrees ...   Read full

My mom has throat pain while swallowing and fever since yesterday. Is it dengue?

Hello doctor, My mother has been having throat pain while swallowing and fever since last evening ... Her fever has not gone below 100 and after about four hours of taking Dolo 650, it goes up t...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.