Q. I am hepatitis B patient with itching, fever and back pain on taking Omeprazole. Kindly advice.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Nov 29, -0001 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2019

I am a chronic hepatitis B patient, I have ulcer too. I did a blood work recently for urea, creatinine, AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT). The physician said the result was fine. I was given Omeprazole. A few days ago I noticed I have constant body itch, fever, back pain, pain on my right abdomen, just under my right breast, I get tired easily too.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

What is the status of your liver now? You are on treatment or not? Symptoms look like biliary pain. Kindly do an ultrasound, LFT, CBC, GGT. For hepatitis B we also need HBV DNA (quantitative), fibroscan, HBeAg, anti HBe.

I will do that as soon as I can. Would get a doctor and get the tests done as soon as possible.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

In the case of hepatitis B assessment of hepatic fibrosis is required to decide about the treatment. We can do it in two ways, non-invasive (fibroscan) and invasive (liver biopsy). Preferably we should go with the non-invasive method.

In the case of advanced fibrosis or high DNA load with elevated ALT (alanine aminotransferase), we should start on treatment for hepatitis B. For ulcers (stomach), take Proton Pump Inhibitors, Sometimes we may need to give you Anti H pylori treatment.

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

Is hepatitis B curable?

Query: Hello doctor, I am hepatitis B patient. My current status is as follows. HBeAg - negative (0.010), HBV E antibody or Ag - positive (0.031) and HBV DNA quantitative (PCR) less than 17.1 IU/mL. Please advise whether this can be cured to become negative as it is affecting my career.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. When both anti-HBe (anti-hepatitis B E antigen) and HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) are positive (HBeAg - negative), there is reduced infectivity and the patient is expected to resolve the infection spontaneously. The Anti-HBe antibodies may be detectable in a chro...  Read Full

Does Omeprazole 20 mg have side effects?

Query: Hello¬†doctor,I have been suffering from symptoms of gastritis now for over a week. However, I took a capsule of Omeprazole 20 mg, and there seems to be a considerable relief, and I feel a lot better. Is it possible that one capsule can do this? Also, I have read online that Omeprazole can be associ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. It will decrease the acid production in the stomach and relieve the symptoms rapidly. The worries like pneumonia or so are very very less. It is usually a safe drug. For more information consult a general medicine phys...  Read Full