I want to quit smoking but I cannot smoke. So suggest me some medicine so that I can quit smoking.
Welcome to icliniq.com.
I hope you are doing well. I read your query and I am very proud that you have decided to take this great step.
First of all, you need to understand that there is no medicine available which will make you quit smoking, it is only you who can make it happen. Its not 1 week or even 1 month process, it takes lot of time and courage. I usually recommend following steps to my patient who wants to quit smoking.
1. Set a date. Setting a date has a psychological effect and you can choose any memorable date, your birthday, your anniversary, etc.
2. Tell your family, your friends and your colleagues. Discuss with them. They are the one who will help you late on with the process.
3. Prepare yourself for the upcoming problems. You will face Nicotine withdrawal and problems associated with that. It will be cough, constipation, etc. These are not serious but if you do not anticipate these, such problems will discourage you from quitting and start smoking again. Try to find a friend or partner who also wants to quit. 2 people make it easier for each other.
4. Remove smoking related products (Cigerrates, ashtray) from your house, car, workplace.
5. Now in final step, here comes a little role of doctor.
Now you need to understand you have 2 types of addictions, physical i.e. of nicotine and psychological i.e of act of smoking. For physical addiction I would recommend nicotine patches and bubblegum, whatever suits you better. For psychological addiction you have to control yourself, if you think that initially you cannot tolerate that, you can use electronic cigerratte for a month or so and it will help you. This is a workplan I can share with you which will help you in quitting smoking. I would love to see you again and help you step by step in the process wherever you need me.
Was this answer helpful?|
Query: Hello doctor,I have very stubborn dark circles around my eyes especially on the inner corners and my lips have turned dark too. Read Full »
Query: Hello doctor, How does Nicotex chewing gum help in quitting smoking? Read Full »
Article Overview: Apart from physical hazards, smoking causes behavioral problems in the form of dependence syndrome, characterized by progressively increasing the amount of smoke, intense craving and withdrawal symptoms in the absence of smoke. Though can be quit on its own, it also requires specific treatment for complete cure. Read Article
Smoking is one of the common modes of substance use. Usually, people smoke cigarettes, pipes, bidis, chillums, hookahs. A common ingredient of smoke is tobacco, derived from dried leaves of the tobacco plant. Tobacco consists of an alkaloid known as nicotine, which is water soluble and is a psychoac... Read Article
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Family Physician Now