Q. How far is CMIA test conclusive?

Dr. Mansuri Uzzaif Usmangani
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

Please suggest how far is CMIA test for HIV is conclusive at six months. Some say that three months are sufficient enough and a few say that six months is conclusive for 98% cases. Which is the truth? Which is the category who take more than three months for seroconversion?

#

• CMIA (chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay) also know as HIV-DUO test. It checks for two things, both antigen and antibody. So, this test is highly conclusive after six weeks, and at six months, it is very conclusive.
  • Seroconversion means developing antibody against the virus. HIV-DUO detect antibody, but it also recognizes antigen as I said. So, CMIA will come positive even if antibodies has not yet developed.
  • Antibody may take time to develop (means seroconversion) in those with weak health or having cancer or taking chemotherapeutic drugs. These people are not able to produce antibody early, so it is not detected.
  • But, they get antigen when they are infected, and HIV-DUO or CMIA test can detect it. So, this test is highly conclusive.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|