Q. How far is CMIA test conclusive?

Dr. Uzzaif U Mansuri
Published on Feb 21, 2017

Please suggest how far is CMIA test for HIV is conclusive at six months. Some say that three months are sufficient enough and a few say that six months is conclusive for 98% cases. Which is the truth? Which is the category who take more than three months for seroconversion?

#

• CMIA (chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay) also know as HIV-DUO test. It checks for two things, both antigen and antibody. So, this test is highly conclusive after six weeks, and at six months, it is very conclusive.
  • Seroconversion means developing antibody against the virus. HIV-DUO detect antibody, but it also recognizes antigen as I said. So, CMIA will come positive even if antibodies has not yet developed.
  • Antibody may take time to develop (means seroconversion) in those with weak health or having cancer or taking chemotherapeutic drugs. These people are not able to produce antibody early, so it is not detected.
  • But, they get antigen when they are infected, and HIV-DUO or CMIA test can detect it. So, this test is highly conclusive.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full »