Q. Do you feel CMIA is better than ELISA?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
Published on Nov 29, 2016

My CMIA on 177th day was nonreactive with an index of 1.4. My second CMIA on 181st day was also nonreactive with an index of 0.8. These two were done at different places. If you compare ELISA and CMIA combo for HIV antibody testing, which is better? What is the maximum window period of forming antibodies and what are the reasons behind the delay? If you compare rapid card test with CMIA, which is more sensitive and reliable? Based on my reports, can I consider it conclusively negative?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query and attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my opinion is as follows:

• CMIA combo - chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay is better as it detects both antigens and antibodies, whereas, ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) mainly detects only antibodies.
  • The window period is usually around three months. Depressed immune system or malnutrition can delay or reduce the formation of antibodies. However, antigen will be present and CMIA combo should be positive, if infected.
  • Rapid card is an emergency test and it is not as sensitive or reliable as CMIA combo.
  • Yes, you can safely assume yourself as negative and further tests are not necessary.

For further doubts consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Murali R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hot breaths and acidity problems are non-specific symptoms and are not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. The risk factors for HIV infection is having sex with unknown partners, whose HIV status is not known, or through blood transmission. If you ha...  Read Full

How Accurate Is Cmia Test?

Query: Hi doctor,I had one sexual incidence. After 175 and 180 days, I got tested with CMIA technique. Please check my reports and suggest whether these are conclusively negative. How accurate is CMIA test?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sarada Nagoti
Pathologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Both the tests show a non-reactive result, which indicates that your reports are fine.Chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay (CMIA) test is a reliable, accurate and standard method. It tests for P24 antigen as well as antibodies to HIV1 and 2. The accuracy of this te...  Read Full

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been diagnosed with hepatitis B around one and a half years ago. Now, you have to repeat HBsAg, ELISA testing to check whether you are HBsAg positive. If still HBsAg is positive, then you can be a carrier of it. Further tests need to be done as follows: ...  Read Full

Ask a Pathologist Now