Q. Is it good to take Valacyclovir for mouth sores caused due to herpes infection?

Dr. S D Sinha

Does Valacyclovir 500 mg help to prevent mouth sores caused due to herpes?

#

Valacyclovir is an antiviral drug used for the treatment of cold sores (herpes labialis). The efficacy of Valacyclovir is not established after the development of cold sores. Hence, it should be used as early as possible. It should be used preferably at the earliest symptoms of a cold sore. For chickenpox, it should be started immediately after the appearance of the rash. It is used in children above twelve years of age in the case of herpes labialis. The recommended dosage for the treatment of cold sore is twelve grams orally twice daily for a day taken twelve hours apart.

It can be herpes labialis.

It can also be chickenpox.

It can be herpes labialis.

Given above.

Is it good to use Acyclovir 400 as an alternative for Valacyclovir for treating mouth sores?

#

Valacyclovir is the medicine of choice. But Acyclovir can be used as they are similar compounds. Acyclovir is used for treating genital herpes rather than herpes labialis. But the decision is made by the prescribing physician. Please do not self-medicate and start treatment under the guidance of a physician after doing a complete physical examination.

I do not have genital herpes. I have a few papules around my lips. I have started taking Acyclovir every four hours for the papule around my lips. What is the dosage to be taken?

#

You can use Acyclovir cream and it can be applied locally. Use it five times a day for five days. If you do not have any previous renal ailment, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), or any previous history of hypersensitivity reaction to Valacyclovir, Acyclovir, or any component of the formulation, then you can take tablet Valacyclovir 200 mg (four tablets of 500 mg) twice daily for a day. Both reduce the duration of pain and lesion. Try to share the photograph of the lesion.

Can I take Acyclovir 400mg for a few papules on my lips or should I need to take Valacyclovir 500 mg four pills for a day?

#

You can use Acyclovir cream five times a day for five days or take a tablet Valacyclovir two grams (four tablets of 500 mg) orally twice daily for a day. Take them in the absence of contraindications.

I have used Acyclovir 400 mg tablets and not used them as cream. How many times do I need to take them in a day for the papules formed on the lips?

#

Valacyclovir is indicated for herpes labialis. Acyclovir, given orally, is not approved for this disease. Oral Acyclovir helps to reduce the duration and severity of the disease. If it is an initial infection, you can take tablet Acyclovir 400 mg thrice daily for a week. You can use Clobetasol gel 0.05 percent twice daily as a local application along with oral therapy to help the healing process.

To reduce pain, you can use pain-reducing medicines like tablet Advil Dual Action (Ibuprofen with Acetaminophen) two tablets thrice daily for five days. You can use an ice pack to get relief from pain. Avoid using aspirin and it is completely contradicted. Keep the place near the lesion clean and dry. Consult the doctor immediately if you have an increase in pain, size, if there is an appearance of new lesions and systemic complaints like fever and body ache. Please share the photograph of the lesion.

You have herpes simplex virus (HSV) infection

It can also be herpes zoster

You have HSV (herpes simplex virus) labialis.

Try to follow the given description.

Keep the skin dry. To have relief from pain, use ice pops, and ice packs.

Have a follow up after seven days.

|