Q. How to get quick relief from cold and nasal congestion?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My mother is a diabetic and also hypertension patient. She is 66 years old. She is on regular diabetes and anti-hypertensive medicine. Now, she has severe cold, nasal congestion and ear congestion. Which medicine can be taken? Will Cetirizine be effective?

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

• I suggest tablet Allegra 180 mg (Fexofenadine) twice daily for five days. One tablet is to be taken in the morning and one at night after meals. Consult her doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Try to maintain a gap of at least three hours between diabetic medicines and Allegra. As such reactions are rare, but still maintain the gap.
  • Give her steam inhalation four times a day. There is no need to give her Cetirizine if you are giving Allegra.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What shall I do for her to get quick relief? She is quite concerned about the ear clog. She already had tablet Zevert 16.

#

• Tell her to take steam inhalation with capsule Karvol (salts of Camphor, Eucalyptol and Menthol) added in it.
  • Take hot boiled water and break the capsule Karvol and put the liquid part of the capsule to this boiled water and take steam inhalation of this for about fifteen minutes slowly.
  • For ear blockage, I suggest two drops of Otrivin ear drops (Xylometazoline) in the ear.
  • As she has already taken Zevert (Betahistine), my advice is to opt Allegra from tomorrow morning.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|