Q. My fiance is getting tremors, remains unresponsive and mumbling in sleep. Why?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

This is a question regarding my fiance. I am very worried as he refuses to visit a doctor. The symptoms are the following: Right-hand tremors, seizures sometimes when he is on the couch and relatively minor ones and mumbling nonsense during night-time when he was laid down like he is sleep talking and only hears me after I talk three or four times.

Last night after he was napping on the couch, he woke up to take his bath and the water was heating. He stayed still for 5 minutes on the heating system staring blankly at the wall. I tried to communicate, but he was wholly unresponsive. I tried to shook him and he stared at me with glassy eyes. He would not answer anything I said. I started slapping him slightly on the face and shooked him to make him responsive. He raised his hand to hit me back, but he seemed that he had no control over his muscles and the slap was so weak that I barely felt it. Then I turned the lights on. He started being more responsive. He became mad and requested to put out the lights. I refused and he kept repeating the words to turn off the lights. He did not move, but seemed mad about the lights and started raising his voice. So, I turned it off. He became unresponsive again. Then, he began pacing around the house mumbling about the television set that was not working. I tried to calm him down but failed. He became a little more responsive by that time and responded with a few words to a few things I asked, but he seemed that he was completely lost in another world or something. After an hour or so, he had his bath and even started to joke. I asked him what was the last thing he remembered and with a little persistence, it seemed that he remembered what had happened in that hour.

He had two glasses of wine before that happened. I do not know if alcohol is significant here. I am very scared. I scared that I do not want to lose him. He is the only person I have in this world. Thank you for taking the time to read it. Kindly help me.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand the issue. It is not because of wine.

• Most likely, the symptoms he is having is suggestive of seizures; complex partial seizures. High likely, the seizure is because of brain diseases.
  • I would suggest you get an MRI brain done. His further treatment will depend on the results of the MRI of the brain.
  • I think he should be started on the anti-seizure medicine to prevent further attacks. I suggest tablet Oxetol (Oxcarbazepine)150 mg twice a day after food for one week and then, increase it to 300 mg twice a day.
  • Please understand that this medicine is just to prevent further seizures. It is not the final treatment. We need to have a look at his brain by doing an MRI. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

Revert with the reports to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Thank you very much for taking the time to read it and reply. I had a slight hope that this was some sort of sleepwalking. I am sorry for asking again for something that is obviously very alarming, but I have to ask. Is there any chance at all that this could be anything minor like sleepwalking?

#

I understand your doubt.

• The things that favor for seizures are tremors in hand while in sleep, staring look, unresponsiveness, mumbling and uncontrolled walking around. All these would not be there in sleep walking. I hope you will consider my point of view.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|