Q. I am pregnant and noticed a dark line on my finger nail. Should I worry about that?

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

I am a 26 year old female. I am 18 weeks pregnant. Recently, I have noticed a dark line on one of my finger nails going down from the skin edge to the tip. Is this anything to worry about?

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

• Firstly our heartiest congratulations on your pregnancy. We wish you all the very best of health.
  • You need not worry about the dark line on your nails. Pregnancy causes a lot of hormonal changes in your body.
  • It also causes increased melanin deposition in your body, which may be the result of the line.
  • Certain nutritional deficiency also can cause the same. So, if you are not on any nutritional supplements, you can start them after consulting your local gynecologist.
  • Do not worry. Take care and stay healthy.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Why is genital herpes recurring?

Query: Hi doctor, Why do I get recurrence of genital herpes as soon as I stop antiviral drugs?  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It may be due to poor immune status, diabetes, drugs, or poor nutrition which may lead to decreased resistance to infection. If the sexual partner has it, then there is a chance of developing it. I suggest applying Acivir (Acyclovir) gel locally and taking capsule A...  Read Full

My baby has white spots on her teeth. Is there anything to be done?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 11 months old and started having her upper teeth when she was 9 months old. And I noticed she has white spots along the gumline and some on the middle. I took a photo and showed it to a dentist here and she said its hypocalcified enamel. My question is, is it reversible? W...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The spots cannot be reversed. They form during fetal development inside the womb and first three months after birth. Any dietary deficiency for you or baby may cause or sometimes even genetic...  Read Full

Why is there numbness with tingling sensation in my right hand ring finger?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a month, I carried heavy grocery bags and after that my right-hand ring finger got numb with a tingling sensation. It is persistent for the past one month.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mayank Agarwal
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Carrying heavy grocery bags just once will not cause any numbness in ring finger with a tingling sensation. Do you work for long hours on a computer using the keyboard? Your symptoms indicate nerve entrapment like carpal tunnel syndrome. Even, if your nerve is injured w...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now