Q. I am pregnant and noticed a dark line on my finger nail. Should I worry about that?

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 20, 2019

I am a 26 year old female. I am 18 weeks pregnant. Recently, I have noticed a dark line on one of my finger nails going down from the skin edge to the tip. Is this anything to worry about?

Dr. Rahul Suresh Kulkarni

#

• Firstly our heartiest congratulations on your pregnancy. We wish you all the very best of health.
  • You need not worry about the dark line on your nails. Pregnancy causes a lot of hormonal changes in your body.
  • It also causes increased melanin deposition in your body, which may be the result of the line.
  • Certain nutritional deficiency also can cause the same. So, if you are not on any nutritional supplements, you can start them after consulting your local gynecologist.
  • Do not worry. Take care and stay healthy.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Why is genital herpes recurring?

Query: Hi doctor, Why do I get recurrence of genital herpes as soon as I stop antiviral drugs?  Read Full »

My baby has white spots on her teeth. Is there anything to be done?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 11 months old and started having her upper teeth when she was 9 months old. And I noticed she has white spots along the gumline and some on the middle. I took a photo and showed it to a dentist here and she said its hypocalcified enamel. My question is, is it reversible? W...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness with tingling sensation in my right hand ring finger?

Query: Hi doctor, Before a month, I carried heavy grocery bags and after that my right-hand ring finger got numb with a tingling sensation. It is persistent for the past one month.  Read Full »