Q. I am supposed to be 10 weeks pregnant from my LMP, but the scan shows 6 weeks. Why?

Dr. Nadia Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Hemalatha
Published on May 20, 2019

I am pregnant with my second child. According to my LMP, I am supposed to be about 10 weeks. However, I had a scan about 3 weeks ago which showed 6 weeks 5 days and another scan this week and it showed 6 weeks 3 days. Baby is also sitting on the uterus lining making the baby very easy to miss if the sonographer is not thorough. There is also a strong heartbeat. Is it possible that due to the baby's current position in the uterus we are not able to get the right measurements to see if the baby is growing well? I do not think it is possible for a baby to decrease in size with a strong heartbeat. Please help. I am emotionally stressed due to this. I have another follow-up scan in a week.

Dr. Nadia Khan

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Firstly, is your period regular or irregular? Were you breastfeeding or taking any pills? In these cases, LMP is not considered as accurate, and scan is the main thing to determine the gestational age.

Secondly, the baby position does not play a role in hindering having measurements. The baby would sit on the lining because it gets nutrition from there, and that is what is called implantation.

Thirdly, what concerning is that if measurements were the same three weeks ago why the baby has not progressed in these three weeks. Possibly one of these scans is not correct either this recent one or the last one. This thing is worrying for me, and it is good that you are having a follow-up scan, and if the baby's heartbeat is there, then you have nothing to fear. Hopefully, everything would be clear by next week.

I am wishing you all the very best.

Ectopic Pregnancy

Article Overview: In an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg gets attached anywhere outside the uterus. Ectopic pregnancies are very common and occur in about 1 in every 50 pregnancies. It is a medical emergency and if left untreated, can also be fatal. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What is an Ectopic Pregnancy? Fertilization of the ovum by sperm takes place in the fallopian tubes. After fertilization, the fertilized egg travels through the fallopian tube to the uterus. Normally, this embryo gets attached to the wall of the uterus and develops. In an ectopic pregnancy, the fer...  Read Article

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full »

Counseling for Newlyweds

Article Overview: Do not wait until you have a problem to seek marriage counseling. Counseling can help newlyweds with their communication skills, sexual relationship, and much more. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Psychologist Counsellor

Most people enter the marriage life with unrealistic expectations of a dream life influenced by some popular songs and movies. But soon their dreams are shattered and their married life gets ruined before it takes off. Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting married. Howev...  Read Article