Q. I am supposed to be 10 weeks pregnant from my LMP, but the scan shows 6 weeks. Why?

Answered by Dr. Nadia Khan and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

Do you have a question on Conception & Pregnancy or Pregnancy Complications? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am pregnant with my second child. According to my LMP, I am supposed to be about 10 weeks. However, I had a scan about 3 weeks ago which showed 6 weeks 5 days and another scan this week and it showed 6 weeks 3 days. Baby is also sitting on the uterus lining making the baby very easy to miss if the sonographer is not thorough. There is also a strong heartbeat. Is it possible that due to the baby's current position in the uterus we are not able to get the right measurements to see if the baby is growing well? I do not think it is possible for a baby to decrease in size with a strong heartbeat. Please help. I am emotionally stressed due to this. I have another follow-up scan in a week.