Q. Contrary to my LMP, why does the scan show only 4. 4 weeks gestation?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

I am 26 year old female. I had my last periods one and a half months back. In between I had Regestrone tablets thrice daily for 3 days and Meprate 10 mg tablets thrice daily for 2 days. Today, I had spotting of reddish brown color. A transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasound was done. It has been 6 weeks since my LMP, but why does the scan show only 4.4 weeks gestation? I have enclosed the report herewith. I have been prescribed with Duphaston tablets. Also, fetal pole is not seen. Is it fine at this stage? Before 10 days my beta hCG was 127.7.

#

• I must tell you that those reports are not very convincing for a healthy pregnancy (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Size is also 2 weeks less, which signifies a possibility of a poor outcome. This is the reason for your bleeding.
  • You need a repeat scan after two weeks. Just continue the Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) and avoid all forms of activities from now.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|