Q. Will avoiding sex during ovulation along with condom usage work as a perfect contraception?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2020

I have a question relating to contraception. I do not want to take a birth control pill, so I am thinking of turning to condoms as an alternative. However, I know that condoms break, etc., therefore I was wondering if using natural contraception (avoiding sexual intercourse during ovulation) along with the condom, would it be a safe option? Or in order to be sure do I need to use some other form of birth control e.g. a patch?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. See you have made a great choice by turning to condoms instead of oral contraceptive pills for contraception as condoms not only provide birth control but also prevent against sexually transmitted diseases. Since condoms when used properly have a success rate of 98% so using it with natural contraception is indeed a great idea. It will ensure almost 100% protection.

Patch for birth control is as good as a pill as it is also hormone-based and has similar side effects to include changes in menstrual pattern, mood changes, etc. I think you have made an intelligent choice to go for condoms along with natural contraception. Taking pills or patch will be over ensuring which I think is not required.

|