Q. Will avoiding sex during ovulation along with condom usage work as a perfect contraception?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2020

I have a question relating to contraception. I do not want to take a birth control pill, so I am thinking of turning to condoms as an alternative. However, I know that condoms break, etc., therefore I was wondering if using natural contraception (avoiding sexual intercourse during ovulation) along with the condom, would it be a safe option? Or in order to be sure do I need to use some other form of birth control e.g. a patch?

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. See you have made a great choice by turning to condoms instead of oral contraceptive pills for contraception as condoms not only provide birth control but also prevent against sexually transmitted diseases. Since condoms when used properly have a success rate of 98% so using it with natural contraception is indeed a great idea. It will ensure almost 100% protection.

Patch for birth control is as good as a pill as it is also hormone-based and has similar side effects to include changes in menstrual pattern, mood changes, etc. I think you have made an intelligent choice to go for condoms along with natural contraception. Taking pills or patch will be over ensuring which I think is not required.

| 

I have a history of genital herpes. Will I get HIV despite using condoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a history of genital herpes, and the infected area is at the base of my penis where condoms do not cover. Should I worry about HIV if I use condoms regularly in the future? Or will I get HIV despite using condoms because of my herpes infection?  Read Full »

A Gift of a Cervical Cancer-Free Life

Article Overview: Very few types of cancer are preventable. Luckily, cervical cancer, the most common cancer in females, is one among them. Prevention of cervical cancer by vaccination is the new mantra! Read Article

Dr. Deepali Raina
Preventive Medicine Physician

Introduction: The belief that women do not indulge in any sort of sexual activity at a young age is a myth. With every passing year, more and more teenagers are becoming sexually active at a young age. According to the National Health and Family Welfare data, the average age at first sexual activit...  Read Article

Will using two condoms during sex prevent transmission of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex four months back with using two condoms at a time and later I realized that using two condoms at a time is not safe. So, I have taken HIV tridot test two months back and fourth generation test last month and again tridot test this month. All are negative. So should I need to te...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»