Q. Is avocado good for cholesterol?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 26, 2018

I am 30 years old and my cholesterol report is showing as LDL 180 mg/dL. My friend says avocado helps in improving HDL and it does not increase LDL, as it has monounsaturated fat. I am confused. Is avocado good for cholesterol?

#

Welcome to icliniq.

First, let me tell you some basics of cholesterol.

HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is a good cholesterol. The higher the HDL, better the health.

Whereas LDL (low-density lipoprotein) is a bad cholesterol. The lower the LDL, better the health.

Avocado, though a high-fat food, reduces LDL and raises HDL. So, it is good for health.

Since your LDL is very high, I would advise you to start medications after consulting a specialist.

|