Q. Is avocado good for cholesterol?

Dr. Divakara. P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am 30 years old, and my cholesterol report shows as LDL 180 mg/dL. My friend says avocado helps improve HDL, and it does not increase LDL, as it has monounsaturated fat. I am confused. Is avocado good for cholesterol?

#

Welcome to icliniq.

HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is good cholesterol—the higher the HDL, the better the health. Whereas LDL (low-density lipoprotein) is bad cholesterol. The lower the LDL, the better the health. Avocado, though a high-fat food, reduces LDL and raises HDL. So, it is good for health. Since your LDL is very high, I advise you to start medications after consulting a specialist.

|