Q. What is causing cough with heavy chest and raised platelets?

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c
Published on Dec 30, 2018

I am a 30-year-old female (weight 65 kg, height 5’4"). I was having a cough with heavy chest (possibly due to sputum as I threw up with sputum a couple of times also). I was prescribed Co-amoxiclav 375 mg TID but as it did not help in three days, the doctor switched to Zinacef for seven days. My ESR was 60 in the first five days and today it is the tenth day and ESR is 98. Also, my platelets have risen to 457, monocytes 19 % and WBC 13.2 %. Also, I get fever occasionally and I am taking Paracetamol which works. The cough is a bit better but I feel too down and tired. Please guide.

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Looking at your complaints and reports, you might be suffering from lower respiratory tract infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly do the following tests and do get me back with chest X-ray PA view sputum for AFB, gram stain and culture. The medication that you received looked very small dose for your age. You might start tablet Amoxiclav 1 gm twice daily for seven days, tablet Levoflox 500 once daily for seven days till you get the reports. Get well soon.

| 

Does Montek LC treat a dry cough?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter is 3 years old. She is having a dry cough since four days. My doctor prescribed Asthalin and Levolin along with Montek LC. Will these help in settling the cough?  Read Full »

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »

My platelet count is high. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you please help me understand my test results? My platelet count is at 1314, and my doctors are unable to give me a specific reason for it.  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now