Q. What is causing cough with heavy chest and raised platelets?

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c

I am a 30-year-old female (weight 65 kg, height 5’4"). I was having a cough with heavy chest (possibly due to sputum as I threw up with sputum a couple of times also). I was prescribed Co-amoxiclav 375 mg TID but as it did not help in three days, the doctor switched to Zinacef for seven days. My ESR was 60 in the first five days and today it is the tenth day and ESR is 98. Also, my platelets have risen to 457, monocytes 19 % and WBC 13.2 %. Also, I get fever occasionally and I am taking Paracetamol which works. The cough is a bit better but I feel too down and tired. Please guide.

Dr. Prabhu Prasad N.c

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Looking at your complaints and reports, you might be suffering from lower respiratory tract infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly do the following tests and do get me back with chest X-ray PA view sputum for AFB, gram stain and culture. The medication that you received looked very small dose for your age. You might start tablet Amoxiclav 1 gm twice daily for seven days, tablet Levoflox 500 once daily for seven days till you get the reports. Get well soon.

|