Q. Does long term effect of COVID-19 include difficulty in walking and standing up?

Dr. S D Sinha

Hello,my father was detected positive for covid 24 days ago. For 2 weeks he has been hospitalized and he is still in hospital, his lungs have been affected. He was treated with Remdesevir, dexamethasone and Heparine and other medicines . He was put on oxygen with nostril and high flow mask. Today he still has oxygen and he cannot walk or get up. He had arrythmia problem and diabetic. Is this a normal situation, do you think that not being able to stand up, walk is normal after 24 days? Thank you very much for your answer. Hello,my father was detected positive for covid 24 days ago. For 2 weeks he has been hospitalized and he is still in hospital, his lungs have been affected. He was treated with Remdesevir, dexamethasone and Heparine and other medicines . He was put on oxygen with nostril and high flow mask. Today he still has oxygen and he cannot walk or get up. Is this a normal situation, do you think that not being able to stand up, walk is normal after 24 days? Thank you very much for your answer.

#

Post COVID complications, especially those with hospitalisations are not uncommon. This could range for extreme muscle weakness, tiredness to serious complications including widespread clotting, neurological complications. It appears your father has been covered for the latter by medications, for the former, he may not have been covered adequately. For giving opinion more, I will need to have access to the entire clinical reports including pre, post and during hospitalised admission. Please revert and letbus discuss.

Thank you for your kind answer. I’m sorry, I’m not able to have these medical reports for the moment, my father is still in hospital. Do you think his « muscle weakness « could be a neurological complication? It can be a long term issue or maybe he just need time to recover? Thank you

#

Myalgia and muscle weakness are often manifestations in patients affected with moderate to severe forms of the disease, often the hospitalised patients. The causes include effect of cytokine storm (often hospitalised patients) and binding of SARSCOV2 (COVID19 virus), to ACE receptors in nerves, brain and related structures. These effects reduce with time and might recover fully or partially, after recovery from the current episode of infection and hospitalisation. There are various after- discharge, medical treatments and physiotherapy/ rehabilitation interventions available, which could give relief and could be undertaken under advise from the local, treating physician/ neurologist and rehabilitation physician and physiotherapists.

Dear Doctor, I have another question. My friend , after 20 days with Covid ( light symptoms), is still sweating and now she saw , red, small spots have appeared in her kidney area. What do you think it can be? Thank you very much.

#

Again, as mentioned, the post infection episode symptoms and signs could mimic the acute phase, which means the fever, sweats, malaise, bodyache, respiratory distress could happen. These happen primarily due to residual damage by virus and also due to existing dead virus particles leading to immune based reactions.

Hyperhidrosis could be caused by instability of autonomic nervous system, as well, can be complication of COVID19. Your friend must be continue to be supplemented with Vitamin C (500mg twice daily), Zinc (50mg thrice daily), Vitamin D3 (1 capsule=60,000 IU ; 1 capsule once weekly), Capsule Saccharomyces Boulardi (1 capsule=250mg twice daily for 7 days). She might need some other medicines like N-acetylcysteine for a few days for preventing lung fibrosis, Thiocolchocoside (with/without paracetamol) for myalgia and pain, levocetrizine for congestion and upper respiratory tract symptoms and anricoagulant medications as per local physician's assessments. For Hyperhidrosis, certain medications such as anticholinergic medicines are used, prescribed by the treating physician, doctor.

Dear Doctor,
In my previous messages I told you about the situation of my father, 65 years old, he has Covid for almos 4 weeks now. The doctors in the hospital said that the PCR test is still posistive. 4 days ago he saw appearing enamthems or skin rash-like lesions inside the mouth, every dau more and more. Which treatement can you recommend please? Do you think the onfection is still there? The virus can be still active? Thank you.
# Thanks for your query.
RT-PCR may continue to stay positive after initial acute phase due to various reasons including but not limited to re-infection, persistence of the existing infection, a false positive test. Re-infection may happen when strict aspesis is not maintained and the patient may contract infection from other patients. Existing infection may also persist; the often reported 15-20 days dueation is an average duration and may vary from patient to patient. Positive swab test results may happen in some tests that may pick up viral RNA fragments which are non-infective.
Considering the above, unless access is provided to the patient's hospital in-patient clinical records, it may be really difficult to comment further on the clinical condition.

Rashes in the mouth or mouth ulcers could be due to multiple reasons including deterioration of systemic health or due to treatments for COVID-19. It has been reported to happen in COVID19 infection as an oral manifestation of the viral infection, however, this sign may precede the occurrence of more serious infection. The cause ahould be investigated and treated.

|