Common "Difficulty In Walking" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Difficulty In Walking

Difficulty walking or abnormal gait can be due to a simple localized sprain to a serious underlying neurologic disease. Some of the causes are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis of leg or hip joint, fracture of the leg or hip, less flexible leg muscles, muscular dystrophy, local injury to the leg, pain due to overuse, obesity, vascular diseases, pinched nerve, spinal stenosis, multiple sclerosis, stroke, Parkinson's disease, other brain lesions, foot corn, ill-fitting shoes, diabetic foot, myopathies, etc. Medical correction of the underlying condition, along with physiotherapy, can help overcome the difficulty.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My father has Parkinson's disease with limitations. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My 77-year-old father has been battling Parkinson's disease for the past five years. Recently, his condition has taken a significant toll as he is now finding it extremely challenging to walk and keeps experiencing frequent falls, even with limited movement. I am deeply concerned about hi...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I can understand your situation and concern about your father. You have not mentioned enough details like medications, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain report, and other comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension, st...  Read Full »

I injured my right ankle 7 years back while playing. Why do I have ankle swelling along with pain during walking and running?

Query: Hello doctor, I injured my right ankle while playing soccer seven years back. It was an eversion, but I continued playing soccer using a crepe bandage as I have never had an ankle sprain before. So I thought it is nothing although I was able to see blood on the skin for two or three days after the i...  Read Full »

Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. The probable diagnosis is ankle tibiocalcaneal ligament partial tear. Yes, it will heal. It heals with a total of three months of rest. You can walk with the brace but avoid running and playing sports. The best brace is...  Read Full »

How to help my father having difficulty in walking and standing up after COVID-19?

Query: Hello,my father was detected positive for covid 24 days ago. For 2 weeks he has been hospitalized and he is still in hospital, his lungs have been affected. He was treated with Remdesevir, dexamethasone and Heparine and other medicines . He was put on oxygen with nostril and high flow mask. Today he...  Read Full »

Dr. Shubadeep Debabrata Sinha

Answer: Post COVID complications, especially those with hospitalisations are not uncommon. This could range for extreme muscle weakness, tiredness to serious complications including widespread clotting, neurological complications. It appears your father has been covered for the latter by medications, for th...  Read Full »

Why does my heel hurt on walking after a brief period of rest?

Query: Hello, I have been having heel pain since last year. Earlier it was just one foot. Now it is on both the feet. Earlier my heels used to pain in the morning after waking up from sleep. But now my heels pain on walking even after a small episode of resting like sitting at a place for some time. Please...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. Do not worry. I have a few suggestions for you- 1. You must do stretching exercises regularly. 2. You must wear soft heel shoes. 3. You must take vitamin B12 and vitamin D-rich foods. 4. Take tablet Ostocalcium Plus (e...  Read Full »

How to deal with osteoarthritis in a 67-year-old woman?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is 67 years old and was recently admitted to the ER because of chest pains. She also had hyperacidity at that time, vomited food once the previous day, and had 1 episode of dark stool the night before. She is taking Losartan 50 mg occasionally, and Naproxen as well for her ost...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreejith. M. G

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. We have to rule out the possibilities like gastric bleeding or other systemic problems for the cause of anemia. Gastric ulcers and erosions may occur due to NSAIDs like Naproxen so reduce such tablets. Check her E...  Read Full »

I have severe back pain on movement. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have severe back pain on the left side whenever I do lots of movement. It is making my legs weak and hard to walk. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Kanani Darshan Jayantilal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. Severe back pain on the left side that keeps coming back whenever you do lots of movement and causes weakness in your legs could be a sign of a spinal injury or a herniated disc. It is also possible that you may have a pinched nerve in your b...  Read Full »

I have knee pain and have difficulty walking. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old level 4 gymnast. About a year ago I started to have pain in my knees almost like it is pushing up or grinding my kneecap and below the knee. It is becoming difficult even to walk up or down the stairs or let alone do gymnastics. I am concerned. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for your query. Your knee pain could be due to various reasons but common ones especially considering your activity levels and description of pain are chondromalacia, pain due to knee instability, inflammation, etc. Chondromalacia is a clinical condition in...  Read Full »

What does the PET scan report of my father depict?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been unable to walk for the last year due to some nerve issues from hip to bottom. He does not have the strength to walk. He will stand with the support of a walker. Also, he cannot talk fluently and faces issues while eating. Based on a neurologist's suggestion, we have tak...  Read Full »

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. I went through the PET (positron emission tomography) scan reports. No cancer-like conditions are indicated (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). There might be neuromuscular weakness central to t...  Read Full »

I have severe neck, lumbar, and pelvic pain. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have bone bridging in my spine on the vertebrae which are fused together, and on my facet joints and also my sacroiliac joint. Going from the top, I have very limited movement in my neck with pinching sensations when I move my head. I have pain going down my right arm into my fingers, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and can understand your concern. It seems to be due to compression of nerve roots in the spine due to degenerative changes in the spine and fusion of vertebrae. 1. Please do light stretching exercises regularly. 2. Try to go for walks regularly. ...  Read Full »

I have severe ankle pain that causes painful walking and disturbed sleep. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have ankle pain, and not able to walk or sleep with this pain. The pain is all time over the scale is 7 out of 10, and shooting pain is 10. Kindly help  Read Full »

Dr. Iswarya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The pain must be moderate, as you have not mentioned detailed history, which is very important in your case. If there is any swelling and a history of injury, you might have sprained and cracked your bone in the worst scenario cracked your bone. If it is a simple pai...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.