Q. Can I take antibiotics for sinusitis after one week of having the COVID vaccine?

Dr. Pawar Satyajit Jalinder

I have recurring sinus infections, probably four or five per year on average. I had my COVID vaccine before one week and was sick for two to three days, but after that, I started having sinus pressure that was causing pain in my teeth. I went to the dentist to rule out an abscess. Today I went to a walk-in clinic, and they prescribed me the antibiotic tablet Cephalexin 500 mg. When looking up information about this antibiotic, I noticed that it had a list of several vaccines that I should not take with this antibiotic. I called the pharmacy to ask them if they thought it would be a problem to take it, and they said that it could make me sick and contact my physician to be sure. Unfortunately, there are no physicians in the area available. I am trying to figure out if the antibiotic is worth the risk of getting sick and what kind of sickness that might entail. Please note that the sinus infection is moderate to severe. I am telling you this, with the pressure it is causing on my teeth roots and a small blood clot that came up while clearing my sinuses.

Current medication details:

Tablet Depakote.
Tablet Metoprolol ER.
Tablet Tramadol ER.
Tablet Folic Acid.
Tablet Singulair.

#

I have gone through your query in detail. Before one week, you had the COVID vaccine. After which you stated having symptoms of dental pain, for which you have been prescribed tablet Cephalexin. Also, the infection is moderate to severe.

It is safe to take antibiotics for sinusitis. Tablet Cephalexin does not have many side effects. The only thing you might get is stomach upset. So I would advice you to take antibiotics as sinus infection is more severe. If you do not want to take it, I would suggest another safe antibiotic tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid). The only side effects are feeling of nausea and stomach upset.

Also, if you can attach the reports of blood tests or doctor's examination, it would help me give an accurate opinion.

|