Q. I had 3 nasal surgeries in the past. Is it safe for me to take nasal Coronavirus test?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

I have had three nose and septum surgeries and my septum is deviated. My workplace wants me to do the nasal Coronavirus test as I recently came back from overseas. I am already on day 10 of Quarantine but they want to do the test.

Is there any risk for me to do this test considering the previous surgeries? Can they force me to do the test? Do they need me to consent to the procedure? Can I request to finish my quarantine instead of testing? Or is there any other test that is less invasive?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I see that you are concerned about previous surgeries. Nasopharyngeal swab for Coronavirus is a very simple test just like how you use your ear buds. So nèed not worry, it can be done even if you have deviated septum.

At this pandemic season, it is recommended by world health officials and your employer can demand you to get tested before joining your work as you have traveled overseas and 14 days quarantine is also recommended by World Health Organization. No other tests is as less invasive and highly yielding than a nasopharyngeal swab test.

| 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Awareness and Prevention

Article Overview: With the most severe outbreak of recent times, COVID-19 has the entire world come to a standstill. This article discusses ways to prevent this infection and make the general public more aware of it. Read Article

Dr. Indhupriyadharshini
Infectious Diseases Specialist

Coronavirus disease (COVID -19) is a new viral disease, which is shaking the world and the medical field with a lot of challenges. As a lot of myths and rumors are revolving around this disease, I have tried to clear some basic things. We have some preventive measures that can help us and others fro...  Read Article

Dental Health During COVID-19 Lockdown

Article Overview: COVID-19 outbreak and lockdown have hit oral health in more ways than one. This article discusses dental health issues in lockdown during COVID-19 and how they can be prevented. Read Article

The world is currently suffering from the COVID-19 pandemic. There is no treatment yet available for this highly contagious infection. The only effective way that most countries have adopted is lockdown and isolation to prevent the rapid spread of the disease. Although this strategy is helping in co...  Read Article