Q. What is the safety limit for CT scans?

Dr. Vivek Chail
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 31 year old male. I would like to know how many CTscans - abdomen and pelvis are safe in a 2 months time. I have had CT scan abdomen and pelvis 2 months back in another city, but now a doctor here wants it done again as I do not have the reports.

Is it safe? What is the safety limit for CT scans?

I am worried about the radiations. Could you advice if I can go ahead?

#

• Every CT scan abdomen and pelvis will give you a radiation exposure of approximately 14 mSv which means it gives a risk of 0.16 percent to develop cancer. This means 99.86 percent chance that it will not cause cancer.
  • If you get another CT scan abdomen and pelvis done now, then the total radiation you will be exposed to would be 28 mSv and the risk for cancer will increase to 0.31 percent which means 99.69 percent you will be safe.
  • We do not have any safe number of radiations over a period of time but two CT scans should be done only if required and considering it will be useful in making a diagnosis.
  • A radiation risk of 0.31 percent after two CT scan abdomen and pelvis examinations is very small.
  • However, I suggest you that please go to the place where you got the CT scan done and request for a duplicate report. I hope the doctors in the scan center would give you a duplicate report on request. 
  • Doing a CT scan abdomen pelvis again just because you do not have the reports is not advisable.

For further queries, consult a radiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/radiologist

|